Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenaid dishwasher making grinding noises

This was very weird...

A couple nights ago, I started the dishwasher as usual but then it suddenly started making this grinding noise, almost like the sound of a garbage disposal. We checked it to see if there was something stuck or blocking anything but all was good.

We tried to start it again and then it just made a whirring sound. Tonight I was sitting in the living room and heard this weird grinding sound and water running. When I went in the kitchen, the dishwasher was running. It just started by itself. It continued to make strange noises but it went through the cycle just fine. A few weeks ago, water started pouring out the bottom of it and that has not happened since.

It is a KitchenAid model #KUDI23HBWH0 (that is a zero, not the letter O).

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I am having bad luck this week with my appliances!

started making this grinding noise, almost like the sound of a garbage disposal. We checked it to see if there was something stuck or blocking anything but all was good.
    Sounds like something might have gotten into the pump. How much did you tear into the pump to see if you could find the problem or did you just look inside the dishwasher tub?

We tried to start it again and then it just made a whirring sound.
    If it was not washing when it should be, something in the pump could have damaged it.

...the dishwasher was running. It just started by itself.
    I'm afraid I have no idea what would cause that. Does your model have some sort of delay start feature?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The motor is mounted from underneath where the water is supposed to jet upward towards the dish racks inside. on this motor shaft is a pump and something called a macerator blade. at the very top is the jet that directs the wash water to the dishes. Now at the motor - there is a spring loaded ceramic/graphite seal where the motor is fastened to the bottom of the tub. When this seal fails water can come out of the tub and soaks everything, the floor and motor windings, bearings, you name it. Take it apart carefully and I'm sure you'll see a chewed up seal.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =