Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting over old sheet paneling

About 10 years ago I applied a wallpaper liner and wallpaper to a wall of old paneling. Now I'd like to remove the wallpaper and paint the wall. The wallpaper is coming off, but I don't know what to do about the liner. The indentations of the paneling show through the liner in some places.Should I remove the liner, then mud the joints before painting? Should I leave the liner on and try to apply joint compound to the liner where necessary? I'm OK with the idea of applying texture to the wall if that is my best option. One part of the wall will have tile, so I could experiment with that area to see how hard it is to remove the liner. That would tell me what is going to happen to the paneling if I try to remove the liner. What should I do?

experiment withthe liner - apply some mud to part of it and let it stand "dry" see if the liner comes off. if it does then use a wallpaper remover liquid and strip the whole panel. lightly sand the panel and apply some mud in the indents, dry and feather smooth. then apply a primer and paint.

Comment

If all else fails and you do need to "texture" the walls, there are several faux finishes that work well on old paneling. As you mentioned, "texturing" the walls is one of them. However, there are several ways you can texture the walls. There are several materials that can be used for the texturing also. For more informantion on that, contact a faux finisher in you area. They should be able to give you some ideas. Jan, Distinctive Scenes, Certified Faux Finisher.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =