Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirt basement-concrete

We have a dirt basement floor, with concrete walls. How do we put concrete on the floor. Do we need pea gravel, then plastic, then concrete. Does any one have any information.

reply to "dirt floor -concrete"

I believe you can have concrete poured by a concrete company. They use a big pipe and pipe it through a window, if you have a window to the basement. I have the same setup - a basement with a dirt floor. I am slowly doing it myself, however. My original intention was to put a stone floor in - like flagstone, because I thought that would look really cool. However, a friend of mine gave me some salvaged outdoor tile - about six inches square, and very thick - they are sort of like salatillo tiles but much sturdier. Almost like thin bricks. I thought that would make a very nice looking floor, so I leveled out the dirt floor and put the tile down, using mortar mix underneath them. I could have used chicken wire underneath it, or that stuff that is like plastic (they use it for envelopes), or maybe I could have used sand underneath the tiles instead of mortar, but I didn't. We do not have a problem with moisture in our basement. After I had all the tiles down I grouted them together and then put grout finish on the grout and tiles, and it looks really good. I did have a bit of cracking in some of the grout, but I fixed it with some Welda Bond glue (I love that stuff). Even if the mortar and/or floor "settles" a bit, there is no place for the tile to go! In the next room I am thinking of self-pouring concrete and embedding moisaics with pebbles. There are so many creative things I could do! This may not be the answer you are looking for. I think just plain concrete is so bland . . .

Comment

Working...
    X
    =