Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Sleeve

I'm installing a 1" copper water service line from the street into my house. The IPC says I have to protect the pipe when it passes under a footing or foundation. I have a pier and beam foundation and my new pipe passes under and not through the foundation wall. Code says I can use a relieving arch, whatever that is, or a sleeve. The sleeve has to be two nominnal sizes larger than the pipe (what does that mean and what type of pipe can be used for a sleeve?) and the space between the pipe and the sleeve has to be caulked according to the IBC (I don't have a copy of the IBC so how exacly should it be caulked?).

There are a couple questions here so let us take them one at a time.

1. What does "Nominal Size" mean?

From the dictionary- Definition of the word "Nominal"- acting or being something in name only, but not in reality

In the building trades we common find materials that are identified by a specific size while the actual size is somewhat different, by example a 2x4 stud actually measures 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"

In the plumbing trade Pipe is identified by the standard IPS sizes (IPS= Iron Pipe Standard) however as other pipe materials were made available it was agreed that the new materials should be produced in basically the same dimension increments so that the new material could be used in place of the iron pipe yet we could retain the same system design parameters thus while there may be slight variations in actual size between the different materials, nontheless we have a standard list of available pipe sizes which are referred to as the nominal pipe size.

I.E. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 3-1/2", 4", 6" 8" etc.

As you can see from the list, you are running a 1" copper pipe and you are required to make your sleeve 2 nominal sizes large so the proper size for your sleeve would be 1-1/2". (1", 1-1/4" , 1-1/2").

When describing pipe we also see a "Schedule Number". While we commonly think of the word schedule as meaning a time table the word schedule actually means "a table or list".

Pipe Schedules refer to a list of tables in the ASTM standards manual that defines the

In the ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) standards manual under each type of pipe we see a number of lists identified as schedules, I.E. sched.10, schedule 20, sched.40, sched 80, sched 120 etc. In a nutshell, the higher the schedule number the thicker the pipe wall and the higer the permissible working pressure or temperature.

For the purpose of making a sleeve we are required to select a piece of Schedule 40 pipe at least two nominal trade sizes larger than the desired pipe, thus for your 1" line you could use 1-1/2" sched. 40 steel, iron or plastic pipe.

When passing a pipe through a masonary wall or footing or when passing under a footing at a level where there is the potential that the said footing could later settle and potentially damage the pipe we are required to protect the pipe by means of a sleeve. To make a sleeve you select a piece of sched.40 pipe at least two nominal sizes larger than the desired pipe and long enough to pass through the masonary and protrude out 2" on either side. The sleeve could initially be set in the concrete forms and cast into the wall or you can drill or otherwise make a hole through the masonary for the sleeve. The sleeve is then sealed to the masonary by any convenient means, I.E. Mortar, tar, expansion foam, etc.

The desired pipe is then passed through the sleeve and the space between the outer wall of the desired pipe and the inner wall of the sleeve is filled with expansion foam. The purpose of a sleeve is to permit the pipe a slight movement to compensate for thermal expansion or contraction or any physical changes in the pipes relationship to the masonary wall. It also permits easy access for future replacement of the pipe.

It is also a good practice to sleeve a pipe when passing under a sidewalk. patio or driveway.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 01-08-2007, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for info Lazy Pup, it was exactly what I needed.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =