Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can PEX join to existing pvc

Hi there. Searched the site and cant find the answer so I will ask. I am trying to install a sink in my basement bar and I have very limited access to the existing plumbing to connect to. Using a flexible pipe would be ideal because of the lack of joints and I could fish it through the ceiling and walls. The cheapest flex pipe I found was PEX. Will I be able to join the PEX pipe to the existing cpvc pipe? If not is there another type of flex pipe that I havent seen that is cost effective? Thanks for your help.

You have two options here.

You solder a male thread adapter on the end of your copper and use a Female PEX connector make the transition to PEX however keep in mind that you must us approved crimp on PEX connectors. The compression type PEX connectors are strictly prohibited.

A second option is to use continuos roll copper pipe which can also be fished through tight spots however be very careful here. Be sure you have copper pipe and not copper tubing. Copper pipe is measured by the inside diameter and roll copper pipe has the same specs as rigid copper pipe, while copper tubing is measured by its outside diameter and it would be slightly smaller diameter and would not fit copper sweat coupling.

Comment

Can PEX join to existing PVC?

Yes. You can join PEX to any type of pipe. For copper, use LazyPup's advice above. For PVC, CPVC, or any other type of pipe, you simply buy the threaded adapter for the job.

For example, if you are attaching to 1/2" PVC, simply purchase a 1/2" threaded PVC connector, and glue it to the PVC.

Then purchase a brass PEX fitting with 1/2" threads to connect to the PVC connection.

And as LazyPup said, the solid copper crimp rings are the only ones you should use with PEX. The crimping tools cost around $100.00 to purchase, but you can rent them pretty cheap. In my town they rent for about $10.00 per day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =