Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber/Cement Siding over old Stucco

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or pro's/con's about using Hardie Fiber/Cement products and doing it themselves vs. having someone install it? I want to install it over my old sutcco (old as in built in 1949).

Stucco is a cementiscous product applied in two steps over exterior walls. There may or may not be any wood or plywood sheathing over the studs. If you try to apply another product over the stucco you may have a hard time fastening using nails. If the nails are not hardened they may just bend giving you another headache. If they do penetrate the stucco - the stucco may break off in large chunks giving you another headache. Think about removing the stucco before to consider another wall covering. Also be warned, the stucco may have an asbestos product in with it.

Comment

This poses a problem then LOTS more work, time and MONEY! I'm curious though as many people in our neighbourhood have done this already but with vinyl siding and they didn't take down the stucco they just strapped over top then sidded.... How do I find out what what was done 50 years ago without ripping down a whole exterior wall?

Comment

Find a stucco contractor and talk to him. I'm sure he has the expertise on the product he sells and enough history on past practices.

Comment

Can I brick over stucco

I have a house that is half brick and on other areas some stucco. I hate the white color of the stucco and would like to brick over it. I have read many posts about moisture and stucco and am concerned that I may not have any options on covering the stucco to give the house a nicer look. Do you have any suggestions on if this or if this can be done or any other alternatives. Do I have to totally remove all the stucco first. I am a female and don't know much about these things, so please laymens terms????

Comment

if the stucco over time has absorbed a lot of moisture it will be a problem. I saw on home tv that they make a brick face product that is used for siding (?) I would think the thinset they use for tile installation might work with these brick face products. you may need to use those thin metal straps (ties) to key the brick face to the stucco in the mortar (thinset) grooves or the whole wall might fall off. removing the stucco is expensive but you may need to start from scratch. I don't know why people use this stuff.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info, that is a good idea. I will do some research on it!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =