Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighted wall switches wont light

I started installing lighted wall switches that are supposed to give a red glow when the light is off so you can see it in the dark... I cant get the switch to light up. I wired it in the same fashion as the switch that I removed. Am I needing to do something differently and if so ...What?

What is the make and model number of the switch that you're installing. Some of these switches that light when the switch is ON require a neutral wire, but don't know about yours since can't see it and don't know the make.

Comment

The brand is Leviton,Model #63-05611-2AS 15A-120V AC/CA.............
      on the switches I am having trouble with I have 2 wires to the bottom pole and 1 to the top. I am using a single Pole switch which was what was installed prior.........

Comment

I found two illuminated single pole switches on the leviton site - #5226 requires a neutral. #104-5611-2WS has a neon tube installed in the toggle portion of the switch. With the switch off it's supposed to glow orange. The 104-5611-2WS is a Decora type rocker. which of the wires you have connected is hot? top or bottom.

Comment

I have tried them (wires) in both positions with no luck...The box has a red wire and 2 black. the red was hooked to the top and the 2 black both on the bottom..There is no ground wire.

Any ideas?

Comment

One red and two blacks indicate to me a three way switch connection. you said in your original post that the two blacks were on the bottom screw(s) do you have two lights off this switch? That would explain the two blacks - however if the original switch was a three way, then you need an illuminated three way.

Comment

The original switch was set up the same way-Both blacks into the same screw.THe blacks must be the continuous wire between 2 rooms. By accident on the first go round I had a 3 way switch , separated the 2 black wires (1 on each side on the bottom posts) switched the switch and the light in the next room went on...

Comment

I figured it out.... Someone had switched the switches in the boxes at the store... I was trying to get a non lighting switch to light... Oh well... fixed now...Thanks for the help guys....

Comment

Working...
                X
                =