Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining in cold weather

Just wondering----

I've got a door that I need to stain before hanging. Any problems doing this in my garage with the cold weather??? We're talking colder than 32 degrees F.

Thanks!

If it actually gets below freezing in your garage, I think that there is a good potential for trouble. If your garage stays at least 50F, you should be fine. I would let the stain dry for at least two days at that temperature. How about staining it in the garage, then after a few hours bring it inside to dry? Most of the fumes should be gone by then.

Comment

The garage definitely doesn't stay at or above 50F. We had actually thought about bringing it inside to dry but the fumes were the thing we were worried about. I think we may wait until next weekend when the temperatures aren't as bitter cold as they are now (single digits). If we stain it in the late morning, perhaps by that afternoon we can move it indoors....we'll play it by ear. Thanks!

Comment

Staining in the cold.

If you are simply applying stain, you can do it at very cold temps. Just brush the stain on and wipe it off with a rag. If it isn't as dark as you'd like, do it again but let the stain sit awhile longer before wiping it off.

If your stain is a combination of stain and polyurethane, then you should wait for warmer weather.

Most cans usually say at what temp it should be applied.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =