Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting!

About five years ago, my parents moved out of their two story house and into a bungalow about 30 minutes away. The new owners that moved into the old house were apartment people, and this was their first house.

The guy had lots of questions about how things ran, and how things were hooked up. Against my Dad's better judgement, he gave this new owner his phone number, and came over a couple times to show him where things were. (such as a water shut off to the fridge ice maker, etc.)

Well one day this guy calls up my Dad and says "the ceiling in the masterbedroom is leaking!" he was quite annoyed, obviously feeling my Dad had covered something up. My Dad was perplexed, we never had a leak there ever in the 20+years in that house.

So he goes over to investigate (why he didn't just say "oh well, too bad." is beyond me.. but thats my Dad, always willing to help out.)

So he looks at the ceiling, sure enough. There is a deffinate water stain in the ceiling. Thats odd, he thinks. And continues to look around for other water damage in other rooms. He comes into the main bathroom on the second floor and see's a vent in the ceiling. (this washroom already had a window to the outside).

"Oh, you installed a vent?" my Dad asks.
    Yes the new owner says.
    "Where exactly does that vent to?" he asks.
    The new owners says. "Oh, well into the attic!"

My dad just looks at him. Not outside he asks?
    No the new owner says. The guy who installed it said venting into the attic would be ok..

My Dad said, so you're venting hot steamy water into your attic and you're wondering why you have a water stain on your ceiling? He told the guy, stop using that vent until you get it properly vented outside the house.

I can just imagine the state of his insulation up in the attic now... ALso the possibility of mold? Rotten beams? eek.. Makes me shiver to wonder what else this yahoo's done to my old house =(
Working...
X
=