Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closing Off Extra Outlet (not adding one)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Off Extra Outlet (not adding one)

I need to close off an extra outlet - I have the white plug-in part off (after I turned off the breaker and used my screwdriver...), and now, I want to patch up the wall, but I want to make sure I do it correctly - do I need to do anything to the loose wires (with electrical tape or anything?)?

I'm a newby at electrical stuff (usually my husband does it, but I'm doing this job on my own - to surprise him when he gets home from out of town - and it is good for me to learn these things anyway). All I see online immediately is how to add an extra outlet... So, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
    Amelia

Hi Amelia,

You're not allowed to just close off this outlet and patch up the wall. The wires in this box MUST ALWAYS remain accessible, this is per the NEC code. So, if you don't want the receptacle there anymore you'll need to screw on a yellow wire nut, one on each wire and fold the wires back into the box. Then you'll need to buy a plastic cover plate and screw it onto the front of the box. These solid plastic plates can be found at the hardware store next to the receptacle covers. You can then paint the plastic plate to blend in with the wall if you want.

Comment

Oh, wow...

Thanks! I really appreciate your response - saving me some problems down the road...

Hey, if you can answer this question, you win the bonus round:

When I was taking off the outlet plug-in part, of course, I had turned off the breaker - and somewhere in the middle of that, my refrigerator just STOPPED working - even though I turned the breaker back on. What can I do to make it work again - I'm thinking there may be a re-set switch or something I just don't see (maybe behind the fridge)... One thing leads to another! (And, b/c of this problem, I have spent the last two hours moving our fridge stuff from our main one to our garage fridge and cleaning the main one, which needed it anyway...)

Amelia

Comment

in the process of removing the outlet, were there two sets of wires in the box? If there were then you need to splice the two blacks together with a wirenut and the two whites with another wirenut. chances are that if there were two sets in the box, by removing the outlet and "capping" off the wires with wirenuts, you opened up the loop feeding power to the downstream outlet(s) once you wirenut the two blacks and two whites you should have re-established the power to those other outlets.

Comment

Yup, Hazy is right! You opened up the circuit so onward power was removed.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =