Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• un-faux-ing?

The previous owners of my house did the master bedroom in some type of faux paint. Looks like they used a sponge to blot two different colors(light blue and white) onto the walls, looks like a sky with clouds. It's not too bad looking but I know that, sometime in the future, I'll want to change it. Do I just go over it with a primer and then a finish coat?
    Just don't want any blotting to show through when I'm done.

Thanks,
    Dan

By the way you are describing the finish, it sounds like a professional did not do it, so it is probably safe to say that using a primer and paint would be ok.

Comment

How much relief is there? Are the paint splotches thin, or are there thick blobby places? Hiding colors/patterns is no big problem with modern paint formulations, but covering a dramatic texture might take substantially more work (and paint).

Comment

In a few places, the paint seems kind of "blobby" but I think that, whoever did it, loaded the sponge too heavily or pressed too hard, causing the paint to run. I scraped the excess off with a razor knife.
        My plan is to then go over any damaged spots with compound and then prime/paint.

Sound OK?
        Dan

Comment

It's what I'd have tried. No idea how it'll work but if it doesn't do well I'd expect it to be pretty cheap and easy to try something more radical.

Comment

Blobby paint...

I'd also try block sanding the walls to knock off the high spots. Good practice to do any time before repainting.

Comment

Hi,
              Another choice if you didn't want to have to bother sanding is to have a professional faux finisher put on a new faux finish after you prime the walls. They don't need to be smooth for that! Jan

Comment

Working...
              X
              =