Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Coat mud and tape done, now I have questions.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Coat mud and tape done, now I have questions.

I am sheetrocking the ceiling in my basement. I got the 5/8" sheetrock up and taped and mudded the first coat. I hate sanding and heard that you can use a wet sponge instead. Is this easier? Anything I should know/tips? Should I just stick with sanding and should I use the mesh type sanding instead of regular sandpaper that will clog up?

2nd coat...
    Do I use a 10" knife now? I used a 6" for the first. How far should I extend the mud this time?

3rd coat...
    12" knife?

Anything suggestions/tips would be great. This is my first time doing a big job like this.

Thanks

I would recommend the screen. That's what I use thanks to my Uncles; they do it for a living, they even use stilts. Anyway it doesn't clog (when the mud is properly dry), lasts longer and removes more material. So the job goes a bit easier.

I also use this really neat contraption I bought at Home Depot, which cuts your dust factor by a claimed 95%. Of course I've never measured it , but I have noticed that it substantially reduces the dust.

From what I understand different finishers have different ideas when it comes to which knife to use when.
    The idea is that you're feathering, which is to say that the longer a transition between two or more uneven surfaces is, the less noticeable it is. So if you have two prep’ed edges at a seam you don't have to use as long a knife, but if non prep’ed edges are at a seam then twelve should be the last size used on both sides. I use my sense of touch to check for a uniformly flat surface. I also use a known straight edge such as a short level or other such machined flat surface.

Joseph
    You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I was going to use a ceiling sprayer with my air compresser to give a textured look. I started searching on the internet and it seems that a lot of people hate it. I also read that it actually decreases the value of your home! Should I just prime and leave the ceiling smooth? I already got the primer from Menards. It was recommended to me, I forgot the name but it is suposidly really thick and covers up imperfections well. It starts with an L and is in a Gray gallon can. Do I need to paint over the primer or can I just leave it since it is going to be white.

Comment

dk - I have a sand finish on my ceilings in my living room. its a sand that's mixed into premium white latex paint and applied with a thick nap roller. major dips aren't hidden but other imperfections are. textured or popcorn ceilings like you say detract from the home's value because its a real pain to get the ceiling smooth again.

Comment

hmm, I like the sound of that sand texture, seems easy and good looking. Do they sell this premixed at home depot or menards or do I need to make it? If I need to make it, what are the instructions? What size nap 3/8"? I would just apply this like normal after priming? Thanks

Comment

The texturing I'm familiar with requires drywall mud and a brush. I don't know that I'd use a sprayer, though it would be quicker.

It's true that texture removing is very labor intensive, so one must be sure they're going to love it prior to applying it.

Personally I make remodeling decisions based upon my wife and my preferences. I never worry about resale, because no one goes into a potential new home and loves everything they see. There's no accounting for someone else’s taste, and you must be happy with your home while living there. Of course investment property is much different.

I know for a fact that while a buyer may not like some of my remodeling decisions they'll absolutely love others. You've got to trust your minds eye!

Joseph
            You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

The "sand" comes in small 1# bags of different grits. You just mix it in to your finish ceiling white. For the application roller, go with the deepest nap roller you can find. I've seen real deep nap rollers with some sort of poly designs on it or just a regular deep nap roller.

Comment

ok, I am almost done doing the basement. I decided to go with standard popcorn ceiling texture. Once the mudding is all done and sanded is this the correct steps...
                -Prime
                -Paint
                -Texture Spray
                -Need to paint or prime again?

Comment

the texture goes into the finish paint. the texture sprayer is a hopper atop the actual gun. mask off with poly anything you don't want covered including the floor. pour the paint with texture into the gun and spray. it is quite messy - you ARE going to get covered with paint! Be forewarned! the stuff comes out in a heavy coarse spray not like regular spray painting.

Comment

So just prime then mix the texture with ceiling paint and spray then done?

Is there a ratio of paint to texture that I should use? What type of texture do you recommend? I am doing standard popcorn style but I may knock down the tips with a trowel, haven't decided yet as I am a little weary on trying it.
                    Last edited by DKAudio; 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

follow directions on the texture bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =