Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baseboard heater quit

Has anyone any idea why?
    I don't mind tinkering if I have an idea what to look for. Are there any websites that would help me? It has a thermostat.
    Thanks in advance.

I've been using a big, friendly picture book from the public library -- Black and Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring. It has a good section on troubleshooting baseboard heaters.

Main thing to remember: these guys are supplied not with 120 but 240 VAC, even more dangerous. So be CERTAIN to test that all power is disconnected before you touch any wiring! I always use a non-contact voltage tester, and check it on a known hot wire to be sure it's turned on and operating before applying it to the circuit I'm about to work on. Mine's a Greenlee. It came in a kit with a simple digital multimeter (also useful for testing baseboard units and many other electrical and electronic devices) and one of those little three-lamp outlet testers. Well worth the cost IMO.

Other than that, be mindful and fastidious and you ought to be able to track down the problem. Baseboard heating units are very simple devices, with just a few potential points of failure. If I can figure 'em out (and I did) then you can too. =^_^= Good luck!

Comment

Baseboard heater

I made up a diagram for checking your heater unit.
      The diagram says single pole double throw switch - SHOULD BE "DOUBLE POLE SINGLE THROW Switch
      Last edited by HayZee518; 02-16-2007, 07:30 PM. Reason: wrong designation

Comment

Working...
      X
      =