Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romex Wiring Routing in Attic

I'll be wiring my workshop under the guidance of the electrical sub that's doing our new house. I've done several smaller wiring projects over the years. But, to keep me from unnecessarily bugging him for advice, I have a couple of questions so far.

When routing the romex in the attic, (Wood framing), what's the best way? Is it normal practice to just run it directly across from junction box to junction box or should the wiring be secured along the joists and then across to the next junction box? Should I drill 3/4" holes in the joists instead of laying the wiring on top?

It seems that running it directly to the boxes would save on excess wiring, but running it along the joists and then across to the boxes would be neater.

Thanks!

Larry

OK, first of all junction boxes cannot be inaccessible, in other words you cannot make a junction box under a floor. if the attic is open, open joists, you have two options. Drill holes at approx center no bigger than 7/8" and pull the wires through the holes, or nail wooden strips atop the joists and staple the wires to the strips. to code you must staple within 8 inches of any box. for the option of having a floor in the attic - you can fasten a j box to a rafter, run the wire up to the box then back down under the floor.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =