Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting fiber cement siding

A friend has some fiber cement siding that the paint is peeling off of. I was under the impression that the fiber cement siding held paint really well, but the stuff is peeling like crazy. Did the contractor just use crappy paint? Or was there an improper application? What type of primer/paint would be best for this siding? It is confusing because the peeling is just in an isolated area. It's not a small area, but the rest of the house is fine. Any and all help is appreciated.

God bless,
    J.W.

The most important part of painting is the prep, especially when it comes to surface texture and cleanliness. Sounds like some of the siding had some sort of contaminate present prior to paint application.

Recommend you remove loose paint, feather edges, clean thoroughly with compatible solvent, and re-apply paint.

Not sure as to the proper type of paint for the siding you mentioned, but I would assume that a good grade exterior paint whose base is compatible with the existing paint be used. I'll leave specific brands up to someone else, any takers?

Good Luck!

Joseph
    You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

moisture-resistant fiber cement

I think its the fiber cement you have used that causing the peeling off the paint. It is always nice to use a moisture-resistant fiber cement

Comment

Make sure the fiber cement is dry is water entering behind siding from bad flashing or no gutter above? It could be simply a contamination of the siding but before you repaint make sure you don't have a bigger problem like a leak that is saturating the siding from behind.

Comment

original posting is the year 2007. I doubt you'll get any reply from the OP.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =