Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stair stringers

I want to redo my stair stringers in my house. My house was built in the early seventies and the contractor must have been a avid drinker because my top riser going too my second floor is only three inchs tall. My main problem is that my total rise is 993/8" and my total run is 97 1/2". I know Im going to have steep stairs but Im not much of a mathmation and can't figure out using a 2x10 what would be my rise to run on the new stringers. If any one could help me that would be great!

It is clear that you require help in redoing your home.

NEED HELP WITH A HOME PROJECT? LOOKING FOR A GOOD LOCAL
    HANDYMAN?

If so, then post your project for free at my site and I will get contractors/handyman to bid on your job directly on the site!

This is a very convenient site because it saves time since you don't have to meet a bunch of handymen in person, and saves money in that they
    compete on price, check it out!

Post a picture or two and a description of the job and we will make sure the bidding war starts for your home project!

To make you feel even more at ease, you can even view License and
    Insurance information of your handyman of choice directly on the site!

Comment

your total rise is 99 3/8" - divide this number by 7 1/2 to get the number of risers or steps - in this case = 13.25. round off to next whole number or 13 rises. your run is 97.5 inches - divide this by 10 1/2" which is nominal tread width = 9.29 minus the bullnose. what all this amounts to be is a bunch of right triangles (steps) set within another right triangle (the whole stringer) you use a framing square to figure out your cutting lines on a 2X12. Risers can vary from 7.5" to 8" but no more. widths can be a minimum of 10.5 inches to 11 inches.

Comment

Stair stringers

I did some figuring and here's what I came up with. Total number of steps is 13. Rise for each step is 7 and 9/16 inch. Width of each cutout is 7 and 1/2 inch. You can install a tread of 8 inches that'll give you a 1/2 inch over hang beyond the thickness of the riser usually 5/8 inch. Total length of the run is 97 1/2 inches.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =