Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling a floor

I've seen a couple of posts here about leveling (jacking) floors, but was wondering if anyone can recommend a good book, article or website that coveres the "to-dos"?

Some background: We just purchased an older home (80+ years) that long ago developed a bulge in one foundation wall caused by water seeping and freezing in the space between the foundation and soil. That wall is now ~2" out of plumb, but has been inspected by an engineer and shored up with 4x4 steel colums to prevent any further motion.

However, the back door rests on this wall. Inside the door there is a small platform attached to a basement staircase and a small staircase leading to the kitchen. The 2nd floor staircase is directly above. When the wall shifted, it shifted some of the staircase supporting beams leading to a slightly unlevel kitchen floor, staircase, and upstairs platform. I am looking into the possibility of jacking up the supporting beam to correct the leveling problem, but would like some more info about what this project would entail.

If/When the project nears, I will post some pics and see what people think.

www dot hammerzone dot com / archives
    In here they state they know of no known book to jacking floors but do offer suggestions

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Comment

I happen to have the same problem, except mine doesn't quite involve stairs. However, it just happens to be right on the line where a supporting wall stands.

Since I own a 100 year old house (or 90 years... pretty close), I should spend some time here to figure out how I'm going to fix this mess. hahahah

Comment

WIth laminate flooring, how important is it that the floor be perfectly level?

Manitoba Progressive Conservatives
          Manitoba NDP
          Manitoba Liberals
          Vote Manitoba

Comment

Originally posted by wmlbrn View Post
            WIth laminate flooring, how important is it that the floor be perfectly level?
            It is extremely important the floor be level with laminates because they join using a tongue-and-groove system. Although, leveling a floor doesn't necessarily require jacking up the support framing. You can level variations up to 1/4" deep with building paper. beyond that you can use a liquid floor leveler in some instances.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =