Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison strap for box support

Can anyone explain to me how this strap would attach a metal box to a wood stud? The straps I'm talking about are thin pieces of sheet meat cut into a shape that is something like the letter "F".

Thanks

The way the madison strap holds the box in place is - you cut your hole to clear the box. the metal ears on the box keep it from slipping into the hole. take the clamp and turn it upside down so the F part is down. now take the tail and slide it upin the wall along side of the box, into the wall and then down so the short part of the F goes in the wall. Now fold the ears of the F into the box. Do this with the other clamp and your box will be secure. One pair is needed for each box.

Comment

Madison Clamp - Jiffy Clamp

Jiffy clamps or Madison clamps are used to secure metal boxes in drywall or plaster walls where using a self fastening clamp is not practical. It is simply a piece of stamped sheet metal in the form of an F letter.

Comment

Thanks for the info HayZee.

So the metal ears on the box keep it from slipping into the wall and the Madison strap keeps it from coming out of the wall -- correct?

I guess you would not use this right up against a stud. And I suppose if my hole in the drywall is already larger than the box, this will not work.

Thanks again

Comment

Yeah - its normally used in old work wiring when you need to hold a metal box in the wall. I suppose you could use it with a plastic box too if it has "plaster ears"
          for a box on a stud use a plastic nail on. It has a greater cu in displacement than a metal box.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =