Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring combination switch outlet

I have a half bath with a ceiling light and no outlet, so I purchased a "Single Pole Switch & Single Receptacle" conbination device (Pass & Seymour 691-I) at Lowe's. Of course, it had the wrong instruction sheet enclosed.
    The switch is above the outlet, with two screws on each side, plus a ground screw.
    Removing the old switch, I found a black wire which I attached to the lower right screw labeled "hot", and a white wire which I tried on each of the other three screws in turn with no results until I attached it to the upper left screw. Now the switch turns my light on and off, but there is no power to the outlet. How can I get the outlet working? I would prefer it to be "live" at all times, but I could live with it only working when the light is on. A wiring diagram for this would be wonderful. The manufacturer's web site failed me. Thanks for any help.

what you have in your existing switchbox is just a switch "loop." the black is hot and the white is the return to the light's black wire. in order for you to have power for an outlet you'll need to pull in a three wire romes from your light to the switchbox. but before you go that length, be advised that any power outlet near to the sink, it needs to be a ground fault receptacle.

Comment

Thanks. I was afraid of that.
      There is a switch outside the bath in the hall I may try it in.
      How would it be connected if not in a loop?

Comment

if you could possibly "snake" in a wire from the hallway switch to the bathroom, i.e. "back to back" - you'd remove the existing box, install a two gang plastic box. the existing switch loop would stay there but you'd have a hot and neutral from the hallway switch feed. then it's all a matter of putting in a gfci receptacle. I'll draw up a diagram and post it in a few minutes. hayzee

Comment

gfci in bathroom

here's the diagram. I can't draw white wires so all the neutrals are light blue in color. if your hallway switchbox is multiple, you'll have to poke around and find the HOT wire going into it. Then its just a matter of splicing in the new back to back wire across the hot and hot's neutral.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =