Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sink drain won't line up

Help? I recently had contractors replace a sink that hung on the wall with a vanity, and the toilet in a small 1/2 bath. I purchased the smallest vanity possible, 18" x 16", so that it would fit where the original sink was, be centered under the medicine chest and light, and leave plenty of space between the vanity and toilet (on the right of the vanity). The contractors were unable to line up the p-trap (they replaced my metal one with pvc) with the sink drain and explained that it was because of the small sink. Their only solution was to open the wall to re-do plumbing which they explained was a HUGE job. I asked if getting a 24" vanity which is also deeper and installing it in the corner would resolve the problem. That would put it about 3" past the left edge of the med chest and about 4" past the right edge of the med chest, but i thought that it would be centered enough and still leave enough room between the vanity and toilet. They thought that would work. They returned to install it while i was out and when i returned i found it all caulked in ... about 3" off the left wall which put it about 1" away from the toilet. (And isn't there a code against that?) In addition, i noticed that the toilet bowl is level, but the tank is not and it is tilted to the right. If it were levelled, i think it would touch the vanity. Now they said that it was the only way it would fit without opening the wall and re-doing the plumbing, again stressing how much work it would be, and additional money. As well as i can explain it, the p-trap when perpendicular to the wall extends further than the sink drain. So to bring the trap in to meet with the drain, they mush turn it to the right or left and shift the vanity too. I guess they couldn't turn it to left because the wall prevented the vanity from going far enough left to line up, so they went to the right. It is unsightly uncentered. At this point, i am not feeling really comfortable with them regarding this job, although they replaced both upstairs vanities without this problem. Is it because of the sink that hung on the wall originally that the plumbing won't line up? I am having a plumber come in, but so far, have only found one that will come out for a "small job". So, i just want to get as much information as possible. I have been reading all over the web about plumbing vanities and even if they mention opening the wall to re-do plumbing to align the trap and the drain, they don't make it sound so critical. Does this sound at all feasible? Is there a way to fix this without opening the wall? Is re-doing the plumbing in the wall a major job? Any help, suggestions, advice, explanations, or answers to my questions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

As well as i can explain it, the p-trap when perpendicular to the wall extends further than the sink drain
    I'm assuming that the drain pipe that extends from the wall is metal with threads on the end of it. If this is true then this problem can be fixed pretty easy.

First thing to do is to remove the pvc "P" trap and trap arm under the sink and remove the sink and the vanity. Now use a sawzall and cut the metal drain piping that's sticking out of the wall flush with the wall or like 1/2" out from it. Using a utility knife score a circle around the drain stub about 1" out all the way around and remove the drywall or plaster around the pipe.

That drain piping is probably a 1 1/2" pipe, so to fix this the easiest would be to install a fernco fitting like this one Fernco, Inc.

where the trap arm connects to one side and the other end is slipped OVER the galvanized drain pipe in the wall and then tightened.

The other way would be to install a ferco fitting like this one:
    Fernco, Inc.
    onto the pipe stub in the wall and then you can install a street fitting like this: Find 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" Galvanized Standard Pipe Nipple and other Pipe Fittings Black & Galv at Aubuchon Hardware

on the other end of it. Then your trap arm goes into the street fitting and is tightened to it using a metal slip nut. Then install your P trap onto the end of the trap arm.

No one will see the gap around the drain piping now since the fitting will take up some of it and it's all hidden under the vanity anyhow. The Fernco fitting can be purchased at any decent hardware store or Home Depot for under $5.00.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

P trap..

Can you get us a picture?

Comment

thanks

mrcaptainbob, I can't get a picture at this time... (After having 2 1/2 baths remodeled ... who can afford a digital camera?) If I need to, I can borrow one next week, but between what I've read and kactuskid's help I feel much better prepared to talk to the plumber this weekend. If I still feel uncomfortable and need further assistance, I will get a picture then.
        Thank you!

kactuskid, thank you so much. See, you make it sound like it's NOT such a major job. No soldering and no sweat joints involved, which I understand is the novice plumbers biggest concern, and why I don't attempt it! I will let you know how I make out.
        Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =