Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 year old furnace needs replacing?

We've had trouble with the furnace (Unicell) all winter. First, the furnace kept shutting off and we had a new ignition put in. That worked for several months. Now it won't go on at all and the service company says the heat exchanger is cracked. They claim it's still under warranty, but they don't make the part any more. Therefore we have to replace the entire furnace (replacement cost $3500) less $350 on the warrantied part. It sounded odd to me. What kind of warrantee is that? Any insight? Is this usual or are we getting hosed?

according to what I found - unicell still makes spa heaters and heat exchangers

Comment

I Hate To Even Suggest It But

If it was mine I would take it to a GOOD welder, no in my case I would probably just stop drill the crack and weld it myself if its not too serious or corroded. That said I would inspect it yearly and always have a CO detector as I do now. Of course I have no idea what the legalities involved are and you would possibly have a problem with finding a pro to install that for you but I somehow doubt that welding would be inherantly dangerous, just something to keep an eye on down the road. Thats a lot of coin by my way of thinking for that new one.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =