Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Please help with stone patio*pics

I am not sure what the problem here is with the patio but I'll assume it was either poorly made or the Canadian winter is just too destructive. All the concrete from the patio is coming apart and looks horrible. I am not one to hire a contractor to fix this without trying myself so I wouldn't expect my aunt to either, so if anyone could tell me how to fix these loose tiles and what kind of mortar to use that would hopefully outlast this current stuff. The overhang on the steps is horrible but I'm not about to try cutting the stone off flush. I wouldn't know how. I would just like to possibly fix the loose steps and throw some proper morter in the cracks to stop anymore from loosening. I'll assume these stones are hard to lift and removing the old mortar would be terribly hard. what would this style of patio be called in case I have to go to Home Depot for stuff?

ANY ideas? feel free to email me at jeremyamero@hotmail.com

It certainly looks like the northern most waters have taken their toll on your pavers! Flagstone used for a deck usually are embedded in sand and tamped into place. the voids are filled in using sand and the rest is swept away. With mortar mix being used, the concrete shrinks as it cures and water , like we get up north, freezes and expands causing voids between the pavers, eventually crumbling. what you might try is first of all remove all the concrete from between the pavers. next make up a mix consisting of three parts portland cement and five parts sand. use enough water to make a semi dry mix - not sloshy like regular cement. Apply this mix in between the pavers and tamp down using a mallet and pieces of wood or steel bar in the voids. this is the same mix used to create a sub-floor in a shower stall - it never really dries out but is hard to the touch. maybe this will work for your foyer.

Comment

Thanks!! so there is no need to remove the actual stones? to me the biggest problem seems to be those horrible overhangs. I see no way at all that the mortar will survive and will likely fall out again within a couple years. how would I go about removing the existing mortar? just chisel it out as much as I can?

Comment

use a small chisel and whang away at the concrete. it looks loose enough for it to come right out. sweep out the joints and use the mix I stated above. Now for those overhangs -- Easiest way I know of to shorten the overhangs would be to rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade. there's a water hose connection you'll need for the saw. Don't go right even with the riser stone leave about a 1/2 inch protruding that way when someone steps on the nose of it the way it is now - the whole stone won't lift up.

Comment

Thanks alot, should get at this this week in the sunshine. I think cutting off the overhangs will be easier than throwing a 2x6 in there and bringing the rocks out further.
          You been a great help. Will post if I have any problems.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =