Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need answer quick...Building Wood Frame to Pour Concrete (PIC Inside)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need answer quick...Building Wood Frame to Pour Concrete (PIC Inside)

I just installed a sliding glass door where a 36" door was. My back concrete step it short on one side now. I want the step extended.

Picture explains what I need.

I have someone coming Friday to help $30 an hour. I want to build the frame so it costs me less. It is too tall (9") to use normal 2 by's. Should I use plywood with 2X4 for framing and 2X2s for stakes into the earth? Everytime I searched it said to use pressure treated wood. Please help.

Thanks
    Last edited by DKAudio; 05-09-2007, 04:10 PM.

No one yet

Also, do I need to water the concrete after we pour it? I heard I should keep it wet for days. Any step by step instructions?

Comment

I would go with the cheapest wood for a form. Also paint some kerosene on the inside of the form so the concrete mix won't adhere to the wood. After the initial cure, it is advisable to spray water on the concrete so it takes longer to dry. a few days worth after the sun goes down should be enough - also keeps the green concrete from cracking.

Comment

Thanks, I built it using 1/2" ply with many 2X4 braces. It is pretty solid.

Kerosene (the fuel?)
        If so could I use Tiki Torch Fluid?

Oh, I might want to add the kind of concrete I got...
        4000PSI, NON-quick set, crack resistant (has added fiberglass strands to prevent shrinkage and cracking.
        Last edited by DKAudio; 05-10-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

yeah tiki torch fuel is kero with a scent odor added. when you screed the concrete, use a wooden float to bring up the portland to the surface and drive the fiberglass down. then when you finish trowelling you won't have glass fibers sticking up.

Comment

Awesome, thank you.

Comment

Pour is done...
              Should I put plastic over it or water it at night? Contractor told me not to water and to use plastic so now I am not sure what to do. If you think I should water, how much water should I put on it.

Finally, I think we are expecting storms tonight and covering it will be pretty hard. What should I do?

Thanks

Comment

once the concrete has set up and you trowelled it smooth, and you're expecting rain, put plastic over it so it doesn't wash away. the portland will generate its own heat to cure. after 24 hrs it should be hard enough for you to stand on it - then start dampening it for three days or so - in the evenings. fine spray.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =