Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Outside Clean Out in Main Sewer & Clean Pipes

I have serious drainage problems in the main sewer due to root growth in the pipes.
    There is no good clean-out for this main sewer, so I was adviced by a plummer to install a clean-out outside the house for easier access.

The pipe is 4 inch cast iron.
    Any advice of how to install a clean-out?

I would also like to try to snake it myself to avoid the high charges.
    I came across this Easy Rooter tool that can be rented at HD.
    The Home Depot Tool Rental - Easy Rooter
    Does anyone have experience with this, and will it remove roots?
    Or would a bigger snake with a root cutting blade work better?

Thank you for any help!

If you cut the 4" cast iron pipe with a sawzall you can expect to use 3 to 4 good quality blades ans spend 20 to 30 minutes per cut. A much better solution is to contact your local tool rental company and find out if they have a "Cast Iron Snap Cutter"? Most tool rentals have them and charge about $15 a day.

A cast iron snap cutter has a long chain similar to a bicycle chain with raised cutters on the links. The chain is wrapped around the pipe at the point were you want to cut it, then connected back to the snap cutter body. You then turn a crank a few times and you will hear a sharp snapping sound. When you hear the snap the pipe is cut. With a little practice you can make clean cuts in less than a minute, not tht you will be making enough cuts to get a lot of practice...LOL.

When you consider that quality sawzall blades will run $3 to $4 each, the snap cutter will prove to be a bargain in both time and money.

The plumbing codes prohibit installing a Sanitary Tee on a horizontal line so you will be required to install either a Wye & 1/8th bend, a "Combo" or a "Rodding Tee"

If using a Wye & 1/8th bend you should get a "Street 1/8th bend" A "street" fitting has a femal hub on one end and a male raw edge (spigot) on the other end. The male end of the 1/8th bend will fit directly into the hub of the Wye.

A "combo" is one fitting that is premade to the same shape and dimensions as a Wye & 1/8th bend.

You may also use a "Rodding Tee", which is a variation of a sanitary tee only the rodding tee has a radius curve in both directions. Rodding Tee's are made specifically for making a cleanout and may not be used for other applications. This is also the only Tee which may be installed on a horizontal line.

Once you have your Wye &1/8th bend, combo or rodding tee you will then stub up with PVC and place a female thread adapter on top with a clean out plug.

In regards to the drain cleaning machine in your link. A close friend of mine bought one of those machines about 3 yrs ago and I have used it on many occassions. I found it to be a very good machine and comporable to some that i have used in the past that cost many times the price.

Comment

Awesome illustrations LazyPup!!!!
      I found out that HomeDepot rents out a Snap Cutter for $ 10 / 4 hours, or $ 14 for a day...so it will DEFINITELY be worth the time, and probably even cheaper that using the RSaw.

You are the man!!! I don't think I can wrong after such great advise!

Comment

I thank for those kind words...and sincerely hope you tell your friends about this site as well.

Comment

Concrete Like Connection

So after 3 more hours of digging last night, I found the root of the problem...yes, roots!!! Also, I found that the beginning of the pipe that comes out from the foundation is 4 inch cast iron, it is then connected to a thicker concrete-like pipe. The first piece makes a 90 degree turn and then each piece is about 3 feet long, the outside diameter is about 5.5 inches and each connection has some roots going into it.
          My plan is to install the clean-out next to the cast iron, and then replace the next 3-4 sections of concrete with 4 inch PVC based on your advice using the no-hub clamps.
          My problem now is, how do I connect between PVC and the concrete pipe?
          I attached a couple of pictures of the CI to Concrete and the 90 degree bend and also the Concrete to Concrete part

Thanks again!
          Last edited by froddan; 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =