Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best shrubs to absorb water near gutter runoff?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shrubs to absorb water near gutter runoff?

Anyone have any recommendations on the kind of shrubbery that won't grow roots into the foundation of my house but is water hungry and will absorb lots of water.....or should I even be putting a plant near the runoff area. In other words, might that just retain water near the house foundation?

Excellent question - I will need to do the same this spring and would like to know what to use (and what to stay away from)...

Also, has anyone used crushed stone to buffer the rain water falling from the roof around the foundation? If so, how deep and how wide did you spread it? did you pitch the ground to run away from the foundation? did that work?

Has anyone here installled their own underground lawn sprinkler system? is it programmable? Was it a kit - or did you do it from scratch??

Thanks,

Kevin O'

Comment

I'll give you my short answer...juniper or boxwoods. There are various kinds but these are nice evergreens. I'm not sure if they will survive in lots of water. Most shrubs shouldn't be planted where there is standing water or large amounts. It could cause disease and rot. Plant a couple this year and see if they survive. Also leave the top of the rootball above ground level.

Todd

Comment

Why leave the top of the rootball above ground?

Last year, I planted all new ewes and they have all since died.
        Even used Miracle Grow shrubs spikes -- watered them, etc.
        ...just anopther example of me and my 'not so green-thumb'

Comment

Why leave the top of the rootball above ground?

To keep the base of the plants from rot.

t

Comment

Forsythia - They will take about anything and their root systems are non-invasive. I would also recommend an Inkberry Holly or Rose of Sharon.

If I am not mistaken, Junipers will not do well in wet sites.

The reason for not burying a root ball is so that oxygen can get to the roots. In the same manner, always add soil to the bottom of the pot when repotting into a larger container and not on top of the root ball.

Comment

JC is right about the juniper, boxwoods smell kinda bad when wet.
              Rose of sharon is a good choice as are all members of the hibiscus family. I recommend any off the large flowered hardy natives, like Disco Bell or star of texas. There are many colors and styles to choose from.
              Check with your local nursary or Lowes/home depot.

Kev

Comment

Working...
              X
              =