Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet to wall attachment screws broken

Hello, We are having our cabinets refaced by Sears starting tomorrow so this past weekend we began the process of removing everything from them. In doing so I noticed that the cabinet that we use to hold our plates, bowls and other heavy ceramic things seems to be slightly loosened from the wall. In fact when I went to remove some decorative items my wife had on top of the cabinets I noticed holes in the wall which appear to me to be evidence that the cabinet has "slipped" down the wall. When I went to check the integrity of the screws used to mount the cabinets, I noticed that of the six only three appear to actually be "catching" the stud. Two of the upper screws and one of the lower ones in fact appear to have broken as they can be pulled out and only a little bit of thread appears on the end. I am wondering if this is something that the refinishers can fix for me or do I need to get a carpenter to do it after the job is done. Thanks for the information.

Probe around to the left or right of the existing screws to see where the stud actually is. Use a "longer than normal" 1/8th inch drill bit. you should hit wood - drywall - wood if there is a stud there. Then use a #8 or #10 - 3 1/2 inch long sheetrock screw.

Comment

find a stud

New construction is 16" on center. The easiest way to find a stud is above the cabinet . take a 4p nail and at the very top of the cabinet about 16" away from other screw tap the nail into the sheetrock. If the nail hits the stud you will know if not move over 1" try again. when stud is found sight down into the cabinet and put a minimum of a 2 1/2" screw in. At this time use a small amount of Latex caulk on your finger and fill the holes, any cleanup is done with a damp rag.

Comment

Loose Cabinet screws

Most likely the installers were off by a slight distance, so you should be able to find a stud to the left or right of where the exisisting screws are. Use screws with large heads to make sure the old cabinets synch up from where they are sagging.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =