Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick BBQ Grill - Size Base? Bricks?

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. I joined because I am having a real hard time figuring some stuff out. I have been delaying this project by doing some calculations and every time it comes out wrong. I want to ATLEAST get the BASE going so things start to move a bit.

See the attached picture. If I want the sides to be 12" (1 straight & 1 sideways) if the brick size is 8x4, considering the mortar that will go between the joints & 2 ft in the middle for grill, what size concrete slab/base should I have giving additional 2" or so? And, how do I calculate total # of bricks I need? I was thinking the base needs to be 4'4" (4" extra) x 2'8" (due to mortar b/w joints that will give require additional space?)

Hope that made some sense.
    Last edited by rufrufryder; 08-04-2007, 05:55 PM.

I took some graph paper and figured out the grid to accomodate your bricks. with a depth of 24 inches add 1 1/8" to the overall dimension in both directions. This is to allow 3/8" mortar between the joints.so the 24 inch width would be 25 1/8 inch. 2 in front and 2 in back would be 25 1/8+2+2= 29 1/8" -- 48 inch would be 49 1/8+2+2=53 1/8"

Comment

grill

I have a mini cad program to figure out just about anything. It's called home plan pro - from a guy from california. anyway using 3/8" mortar between bricks I came up with the following footprint.

Comment

Excellent! That does help me see things bit more easily. Would you know how much of thickness of slab do I need? Thanks

Comment

I would say four inch with a 4" square screen rebar in the middle. keeps everything together and protects against cold weather cracking.

Comment

Base

Excellent... one more thing, if I want the level/base in the middle off ground, how do I do that for it to support in the middle? Once I make the 3 sides level to certain height, then I'd like it to form a base for grilling.

Comment

Make a form for the base concrete. Lay some poly on the ground. Place the square screen inside the form. Mix your concrete and pour it into the form right on top of the screen. Take a coat hanger and straighten it out and form a small hook on one end. Reach this hook into the concrete and pull up on the screen to about center. Let it go and do the same in a few places. Placement isn't critical but about center is ok. Use a 2X4 as a screed to level out to the top of your form. When a watery layer comes up to the top start with a finish rectangular trowel and finish smooth. wait overnight and it'll be cured. Lay out your first course of brick. butter the bottom and sides and assemble your grill. use a four foot level and tamp the brick down with the butt of the trowel until each brick in a course is level. then go up. keep going up and constantly checking until you reach a level for your grill. Use a piece of steel at least two inches wide. bury one half of it in a mortar line on top of the brick. do this on three sides. continue upward with the brick. at the top use a field stone for the cap with cement as a binder. let the whole thing cure for about a week.

Comment

I know its my stupidity since I have no idea what you just said. ) I'll read it more slowly

Comment

a SCREED is a piece of wood that extends out over a form on both ends. It is used by sawing back and forth from one end of a form to the other to give you a rough level for the concrete.
                  RECTANGULAR FINISHING TROWEL is used to smooth out the concrete AFTER the aggregate has settled into the mix.
                  TROWEL - is used for buttering the bricks it is shaped like elongated diamond with a handle on one end.
                  The steel I was talking about is 2 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick, as long as the width of your inside measurements of the grill and the length of your back wall, minus the two side pieces.

Comment

do you have yahoo im? would make this a whole lot easier. my handle there is buffalo12980@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks again. I sent you a msg, don't know if you rec'd it or not. (1) Another question, If I want the next layer to look like this (see attached - RED areas), what do I do with the left over areas? Do I have to cut the bricks?
                      (2) Quoting you, "Use a piece of steel at least two inches wide. bury one half of it in a mortar line on top of the brick. do this on three sides." Do you mean to do that in BLUE with 2" steel?

Comment

didn't receive any msg. email to srf12980@localnet.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =