Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Ventilation

I had a new attic vent installed recently. Birds were nesting in the screening of the previous attic vent so I asked the roofer to install an attic vent that the birds could not nest in. The new attic vent looks like a metal box with cuts on the sides to let air in and there is no room between the bottom of the vent and the top of the roof for the birds to get in. The problem is when I go into the attic now it does not feel like the attic is getting as much fresh air with the new vent as it did with the old vent. Is there a way to tell if the new vent is letting in enough fresh air? What problems with my roof could this cause?

Roof vent

Roof vents are designed to let heated air out of an attic, because heat rises. They do not let fresh air in.

The type of vent you describle is not as ideal for ventilation as a turbine would be. If birds are an issue you can still install a turbine, after it is installed just place some mesh wiring on the underneath of the roof decking to prevent the birds from entering. Usually the birds aren't a problem with the turbines anyway.

Roof venting along with say soffit vents or gable vents are the best for cross ventilation of an attic.

rick

Comment

Electric fan/vent with thermostat will do - about $60 home depot

Electric fan/vent with thermostat will do - about $60 home depot

Comment

If there are no "soffit" vents there sure will be a LACK of any ventilation.
        Air has to come IN, to be able to go OUT.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =