Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheem RAKA-048JAZ

My unit is coming on and blowing in the house, however my outside fan will not stay on and is the motor gets hot very quickly, if left off for a long period of time, it will come on and blow for 10-20 minutes sometimes but then the fan stops and it just hums loudly. I tried pressing the contact switch but the fan once heated I guess will not spin hardly, it moves very slowly. should I be replacing the fan or capacitor? Thanks for any help I can get.

look to the motor bearings. the capacitor is ok because the fan starts. if they are oillite bearings, you may need to just force oil them. if they're ball bearings replace them.

Comment

Just save yourself the hassle and get a new motor.

Comment

I'm having the same problem...THANKS for the answer!

Comment

Doesn't matter if it has ball-bearings or oillite, once they dry up, the surfaces are scarred and new bearings are needed. With small (1hp and below) it's makes the most sense to buy a new motor instead dicking around with new bearings. Sure you can jam some oil in there and make it run for a while, but the damage is done and it's a matter of time before it goes out again-like during that nice party you're throwing!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =