Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric or gas chain saw

I plan to buy a chain saw soon, but can't decide between gas or electric. The saw will not be used that often, but when used it would probably be all day long. We have older trees that loose some good size branches(4"-12") when it gets real windy. I have two trees that are about a foot in diameter and twenty feet tall that need to be cut down. Other than that the saw will be used for cutting fallen limbs. I have a 6000watt portable generator which I can pull with my riding mower if I went for an electric saw. The majority of my trees are close to my house, within extension cord distance and certainly generator distance. I'm thinking cost wise, maintenance wise, the electric. Then again, power wise, flexibility wise, the gas(although the Remington I'm looking at is 3hp-11.5amps). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

OK, both machines use oil - for lubrication and running. the gas offers portability without lugging around a generator. the corded model - you risk the chance of having it bounce back and cutting the cord. if you don't have an electrical repair shop nearby you got shipping and repair costs. there's a alot of small engine repair places. gas works in all weather, the electric gets sluggish in cold weather.

Comment

Thanks for the reply HayZee, hadn't thought of the cold weather aspect. Guess I'll be going gas.

Comment

You Can't beat electric for around the yard

Thats where it ends though. All you got is what the cord gives you for range. Also I doubt 600 watts would power one. Working in front of the garage they can't be beat though and they are nice and light and quiet. I once cut up an huge tree about 3' across using one of those. Darned things have plenty of power you just can't go far.
        Gas is more versatile just make sure you don't store it full of todays shitty gas. I mix my gas for weed wackers , blower and stuff like that 1 quart at a time. If you go with more than that its a nice touch to put a tad of STABIL fuel stabilizer in there so it doesn't go sour. Gas today is pretty poor quality.

Comment

unless you are going to use a lot go electric, you can't beat the cost, won't have to worry about keeping a seperate gas can with two stroke oil, and won't have to worry about fouled plugs, noise, and old gas gumming up the carb. a cheap electric model can be replaced for less than the cost of having a gas unit that's been sitting all winter serviced by a repair shop

Comment

Not The Most Versatile But Kick Ass Around The Yard

I once cut up a huge tree in my yard with a cheap craftsman electric. That puppy had to be 3 feet across and I will be damned if it didn't get the job done. Overall it worked as good as my Huskevarna 141 that I have now. Nice and quiet too. Still you can get a decent husky at Homo Depot for under $200 though they are definitely not in the realm of the higher priced models. I know I have had 2 of em and personally I would never buy another one again. I would buy a cheap Poulin at wallyworld and beat it to death at around $100 first. The carbs on those cheap Huskies have to be just right or they stall a lot staring cold as the choke closes immediately when you touch the trigger. You can't lock the trigger like the old ones either, another sacrafice to the foolishness of greenies and governmental regulations. They take a perfectly good device and ruin it by design. Go figure. Not easy to modify back to manual choke either, they did their job well evil bureaucrats. The cheapos with the simple primer button work so much better.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =