Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door won't go up

Hello,
    I could use some advice on how to fix my garage door problem that started a couple of days ago. It doesn't happen everytime, but the garage door will almost completely open and suddenly stop. I usually have to press the button to close it and try again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries until it completely opens. I have noticed it stops at the exact point everytime, and when it does completely open, when it passes that point of getting stuck, a loud "bang" sound comes from the door. The house is only 4 years old, so I figured it is not wear. I have not greased the track, wheels or hinges since it was installed..could that be it? I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

The door moves on tracks - correct? If one of the tracks is plumb and horizontal (or level) and the othertrack "end" is slightly off in or out the door will drop off the track then jump back on. this could be causing the bang! check for the same width along the whole door track. cut a 1X2 to act as a gauge and check the bottom, center and top all the way to the end of the track. next check your limits. the door shuts down at the same place all the time. this indicates the stop limit has been reached and its adjustment is off a touch. door mechanisms make use of a mechanical limit for door travel and a current sensing relay that stops the door when a set current is over shot as in an object in the path of the door travel. the electric eyes should be mounted on the wooden track supports NOT the metal track. as the door moves the track also moves and if the eyes are mounted on the track they too will move. once their light path has been broken, THAT circuitry will take over and shut down the drive motor.

Comment

Sensitivity setting

Odds are you have a sensitivity setting issue. Check for a sensitivity or force adjustment on the motor head. On modern operators there is one for the up and down. Adjusting the up force should take care of the problem. Ryan

Comment

Garage Door Wouldn't Go Up, Sporadically

After 20 months of faithful service, our garage door started to go on the fritz. Sometimes it would go up only 3 feet, other times 6 feet, and on some occassions it would work fine. After reading the responce from gdoorpro, I thought I'd give the sinsitivity thing a try.

Not evening knowing if my opener had this option, I got on a ladder and checked out the back of the opener. Low and behold, there were 2 dials, one for raising the door and one for lowering the door. The opening door setting was set to 1. I set it to around 2.5, then tested the door. It worked wonderfully, 3 times in a row. I would never be able to do that before the adjustment.

Thanks much, gdoorpro, your suggestion resolved my issue. srivero1, I hope you were able to get to the bottom of your garage door issue.

Charlie

Comment

Hey guys, sorry maybe it's a bit off the topic here but nice to be a part of the garagedoorzone forum. Just for you who are interested in living in the Sacramento CA area, there's a new garage door repair company called My Garage Repair Sacramento. We offer all the common services like opener repair, spring replacement, door installations etc. for quite competitive prices. Check out our website and get in touch with us if you have any problems.
          Last edited by mygaragerepairsacramento; 08-01-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Thank guys, might recommend it to my friend he's living in Sacramento!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =