Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pioneer Stereo Amp SA-510 Dead right channel...help!!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Stereo Amp SA-510 Dead right channel...help!!!

Hello...I just acquired a used Pioneer Stereo Amp SA-510. It's a great little amp, except the right channel is pretty much dead. It barely works, and the only way to get it to fire is to kind of hit the amp, and it is getting worse and worse. Local tech wants $120 to fix, and I only paid $60 for it. Can anyone PLEASE give me some advice as to how I can fix this myself?

you said you have to hit it. expose the printed circuit side and the component side and see if there is a loose component on the board. wiggle each component with your fingers or a needle nose plier. once you found it, resolder the joint with a low wattage soldering pen and rosin core solder.

Comment

Thanks so much HayZee, it sounds like you really have an idea of what the problem may be. However, when it comes to repair, I'm practically a complete novice. Can you elaborate on how I can distinguish the "printed circuit side" from the "component side?" Also, What constitutes low wattage in a soldering pen, where should I go to get one (and the solder), and how much do you anticipate this all costing? A lot of questions, I know, but I can't even tell you how much of a help this is.

Comment

some real old amplifiers used point to point wiring. what that is - is a wire going from one solder connection to another solder connection. one end of a resistor going to someplace else in the circuit and soldered. a printed circuit is a board with wire paths in a copper foil on an insulated board. components are mounted on the board from the opposite side through holes drilled through the board and soldered to the foil. please go to a radio shack and purchase a 40-100 watt soldering station and a roll of rosin cored solder. cost? about ten bucks

Comment

Working...
        X
        =