Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing for Half-Wall

I am looking at building a half wall between the entry way and the living room. I can pretty much frame the wall. I am looking for ways to install the wall so that the open end is well anchored. I don't know if we want to necessarily run a support piece at the open end from floor to ceiling.

I have seen where the framing (stud) is run through the subfloor and tied into the floor joists below, which would be very solid. Are there any other alternatives to anchoring a half wall?

dc206

Originally posted by dc206 View Post
    I am looking at building a half wall between the entry way and the living room. I can pretty much frame the wall. I am looking for ways to install the wall so that the open end is well anchored. I don't know if we want to necessarily run a support piece at the open end from floor to ceiling.

I have seen where the framing (stud) is run through the subfloor and tied into the floor joists below, which would be very solid. Are there any other alternatives to anchoring a half wall?

dc206
    How high you need it? you can go up 4 feet without going into the floor joist. if you frame it up right, the structure itself will solid enough AFTER you drywall it. the dryall will tighten it up, to where you don't need to go down to the floor joist. frame it up 12" oc.
    master carpenter

Comment

Thanks for responding.

Haven't worked out the exact height for the wall, but should not exceed 4'. Seems that there would be a lot of leverage if someone leans against the side of the wall at the open end. I suppose the length of the wall would also be a factor. I don't believe the wall would be more than 3 ft long.

Final question, do you recommend nailing or screws for securing the bottom plate to the floor?

DC206

Comment

if possible a couple lag screws into a joist or 2 will shore it nicely
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

dc206

Comment

Results: We did the framing for the half wall yesterday. The wall ended up being just under 3" tall and 28" wide. We secured it to a stud on the wall and a joist. It would slightly flex if we applied moderate pressure against the open end. The wall really become solid once we applied the drywall board.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Dale

Comment

Working...
            X
            =