Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Frigidaire Humming and Warm - Sounds like a Weather Alert

Frigidaire- "Here Today, Broke Today"......?

I have a model about 10yrs old or so, says "125A - 171846-10B", suddenly one afternoon it started making this soft whining hum- sounds like one of those weather station alerts. It goes off when the frigerator is unplugged and replugged, but then starts up again after awhile.

After a couple days of this, I noticed everything in the freezer was thawed. The frigerator itself is hovering around 60 degrees. Food is slowly dying......

Anybody have any ideas?

-------
    PS- I have read the article already existing about the compressor/starter, and see this link for a part:
    repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=781162&PPStack=1

Tempted to buy it...............
    Last edited by jeffpas; 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM.

Originally posted by jeffpas

Frigidaire model about 10yrs old or so, says "125A - 171846-10B"
    I don't know what those numbers are but what is needed to properly identify the appliance in question is is complete model number.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

suddenly one afternoon it started making this soft whining hum
    From where exactly??

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It appears to be coming from the compressor, or close by to it, which is hot to the touch. It is now kind of a soft continuous "WHAzzzWHAzzzWHAzzzWHAzzz......" that was never there before. The pitch is the same as the tone you hear when the TV says "THIS IS ONLY A TEST"
      Then every once in awhile it makes a gurgling sound like a dinosaur mooing faraway on the next block. Or maybe it's a lion. Reminds me of Jurassic Park.

That's in addition to the 'regular' refrigerator sounds, which is still running as usual.

Why can't they just put the model number on the front of a refrigerator? All it says is FRIGIDAIRE. On the back sticker there is Z174822C next to the schematic. LISTED HOUSEHOLD REFRIGERATOR OR FREEZER 125A.
      I don't see anything else from your links or can find it off the web.

Comment

Here you can download the sound:

http: +
        // +
        rs125 +
        . +
        rapidshare +
        . +
        com +
        / +
        files +
        / +
        72691329 +
        / +
        refrigerator +
        . +
        mp3

See if you can hear the dinosaur roaring/gurgling. Its louder than in the recording.
        Last edited by jeffpas; 11-27-2007, 01:45 PM.

Comment

It appears to be coming from the compressor, or close by to it, which is hot to the touch.
          If it is coming from the compressor, it may be a result of the compressor not starting. In such a case it would usually get hot... until it failed completely.

I would suggest you disconnect power from the appliance until it can be fixed because if the compressor gets damaged, it will be $$$+ to replace it!

I noticed everything in the freezer was thawed. The frigerator itself is hovering around 60 degrees.
          The compressor is responsible for the cooling in the whole appliance. If it is not running, all parts of the refrigerator will cease to cool eventually.

Then every once in awhile it makes a gurgling sound
          Maybe the compressor does start up... sometimes?

Why can't they just put the model number on the front of a refrigerator?
          That's where it is, as illustrated at the link provided in the very first forum message:

LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

On the back sticker there is Z174822C next to the schematic.
          That may be the part number for that sticker. It has nothing to do with the identification of the appliance, such information is rarely ever found on the back of an appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

OMG the blingin thing was on the inside wall behind the crisper drawer frame rack (you have to move the refrigerator, open the door 100 degrees and take all the drawers and frame unit out)

What was the manufacturer afraid someone will read it?

It says MODEL NO: FPI-16TCL-0.

Is the compressor ever supposed to be hot? The refrigerator WAS cooling a little bit still. But now of course it is unplugged.

You suspect the starter may have gone bad?
            Last edited by jeffpas; 11-27-2007, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Is the compressor ever supposed to be hot?
              Not so much you couldn't put your hand on it. It will be warm while in operation. They will usually heat up abnormally by trying to start but failing, over and over and over again.

You suspect the starter may have gone bad?
              The starting relay, overload protector or the compressor itself could all be possibilities if the compressor doesn't run properly, yes. Poor power to the appliance (like running it on an extension cord, etc.) could also cause it.

LINK > FPI16TCL0 Starting Relay
              LINK > Overload Protector

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks! Since both the starting relay and overload protector start around $50 each (and probably more from a dealer) and the compressor is assumed untold millions, is there any way one can tell which is the problem?

I have heard that taking the starting relay out and shaking it, listening for a rattling sound, indicates it has gone bad.

I would assume if the compressor has broke, it would no longer heat up at all.

Surely there is some trick of the trade for determining which has failed.
                Last edited by jeffpas; 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM.

Comment

a starting relay has a set of overly large contacts which conduct relatively large currents - as in the compressor start winding. an overload is a bi-metal contact that has two metals which expand at different rates and so opens a set of contacts preveneting burn-out. IF a compressor is started and just hums, it's not spinning. Most have a capacitor in the start and run winding - might even be a dual capacitor. try changing this first. if it still doesn't start, a refrigeration supply house has something called a hot starter which will "jolt" the compressor into starting. if you look on the web for a hot start for a compressor I'm sure you'll find out how to make one. If the hot start deosn't get it to spin, then it is safe to assume the whole thing is shot! AND unless you are a licensed EPA rated refer tech you can't install a replacement yourself.

Comment

Thanks HayZee, I would have to assume from what you just said that if the overload protector had malfunctioned, then either the compressor wouldn't run at all, or the refrigerator would run and work without overload protection (overload switch stuck one way, or the other). Since it IS hot and running, and NOT running cold, that would leave the compressor and the starter.

Since the compressor can run without spinning, and when does this it makes a humming sound (and it is humming), then it would be a pretty good guess that the compressor is running and the starter did not start the compressor spinning.

SO bearing in mind all these dire warnings of cost and licencing with compressor repair, my only two choices left are either to try buying a new starter, or toss the refrigerator and buy a new one.

There's my logic. Anybody have any objections?...............
                    Last edited by jeffpas; 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

DON'T shake it!

is there any way one can tell which is the problem?
                      A service technician would usually connect the compressor to a test cord directly, bypassing the relay and overload, to see if it would run and to also check its amperage draw. If all tested Ok, they might reinstall the devices and check the amperage draw at the time the overload tripped. If the amperage was Ok when the overload tripped, just the overload might be assumed to be defective and replaced. But when the symptoms point to either the relay or overload, often both are just replaced together.

If the compressor was found to be drawing excessive amperage, the compressor itself would be assumed to be the problem... as long as the power supply to the fridge was adequate.

I have heard that taking the starting relay out and shaking it, listening for a rattling sound, indicates it has gone bad.
                      That is a sure way to wreck even a good part. The type of relay used on your model has numerous moving internal parts. It will rattle... if you make it. That says absolutely nothing about its condition.

Violent shaking is not a test for any appliance part and should not be done, EVER!

I would assume if the compressor has broke, it would no longer heat up at all.
                      A compressor can be broke in any number of different ways. It doesn't necessarily have to be 'dead' as a doornail.

Surely there is some trick of the trade for determining which has failed.
                      No 'trick', just testing and deduction.

BTW. Your fridge model doesn't look to use any sort of capacitor so I wouldn't suggest you go on too long of a wild goose chase looking for one. A compressor 'hard start kit' (see the following link) might be able to be used if the cause of the starting problem is just the compressor starting to get 'tight' with age and use. They have to be wired in place though and it isn't always easy determining the correct terminals to put the wires onto, depending on the make of compressor in your fridge model. The kit will have directions for a couple of different wiring setups.

LINK > Refrigerator/Freezer Compressor 'Hard Start' Kit

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan O,

Thanks for your information.
                        Absent this test cord device and hard start kit, which I would have to buy anyway, I suppose I will buy a starter relay then overload in turn. I am not sure what the 'capacitor' is. As you well know, as the bill starts mounting up to $100, $150, etc, you may as well cash in on a new box. If that happens rest assured it won't be a Frigidaire.
                        If only a parts supplier were kind enough to let me try and return each in turn.

lol as far as shaking perhaps you need to straighten this 'expert' out:

http: +
                        // +
                        www +
                        .fixya.com/support/t129448-frigidaire_side_side

jeffpas
                        Last edited by jeffpas; 11-27-2007, 11:13 PM.

Comment

as far as shaking perhaps you need to straighten this 'expert' out
                          With the relay type (ie. 'solid state') used on the specific fridge being discussed, shaking wouldn't hurt it and it would be true that if parts fell out of it, it would be defective (as is likely with anything else that fell apart). Unfortunately, doing that with the relay type used on your fridge could easily damage it. Shaking in either case is not a true 'test' and should be avoided.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

One last question- as an afterthought, it was mentioned the occasional 'dragon gurgling' might be the compressor starting sometimes. I can't determine exactly where this sound is coming from.

If that's the case, then that would mean the starter IS starting the compressor (working), but it keeps quitting over and over again. Is this correct logic? Or could it arguably still be the starter relay.
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by jeffpas; 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Shutting down or not starting up???

If that's the case, then that would mean the starter IS starting the compressor (working), but it keeps quitting over and over again.
                              It could be starting the compressor yes, but just not every time it is suppose to.

could it arguably still be the starter relay.
                              Yes it could... or the overload or the compressor. If it is shutting down prematurely, a problem in the overload or compressor are possibilities. If it is NOT starting up every time, a problem in the relay, overload or compressor are all possibilities.

BTW. Compressors are much more common to have problems starting up than they are to shut down prematurely as your deduction assumes is occurring but neither are outside the realm of possibilities. That's were proper testing comes in.

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =