Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damp basement wall.

Hello to all.
    We live in Chicago burbs. Every winter during heavy snow after the snow melts we observe a mild dampness in one corner of the basement walls. We moved into the house 2 years ago. It appears that the previous owner had sealed/patched some water/moisture seepages in the same corner area as our home inspector had observed the patching.

Now after a snow storm we again observed water/dampness in the same place. It is a very small area but (20 inch by 2 inch) i am wondering what I can do to completely eliminate this problem. I am attaching a pic of the basement wall. One can see that the wall was patched before to avoid water seepage and it seems to be working fine. However one area of the patch is now again moist/wet. The wet patch is just on the corner edge as I have indicated in the image (labeled MOIST DAMP AREA ).

What shall I do. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Look outside to see if a rain gutter down spout might be dumping a lot of water there.

Comment

If there is a downspout nearby outside, an inexpensive vinyl downspout extender (called a flex elbow here: Ace - Ace Tree: Hardware: Garage, Driveway, Roofing & Siding: Gutters: Vinyl Gutter Parts: Amerimax Flex Elbow (37084)) may help a lot. This was the case in one of my old houses. The extender kept the basement a whole lot drier.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =