• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telephone jack and DSL

[?]
    Hey all

Phone jacks in house on one number
    Had 1 jack wired for separate number for computer

Got dsl cancelled 2nd line and now that second line jack only has dsl no dial tone so now fax machine doesn't work....

NID has one junction labeled Data and has orange/white and white/orange wires connected
    Other connection labeled line 2 and has red and green wires connected

How do I go about getting a dial tone on this dsl jack?

and why doesn't it get a dial tone since I have to have filters on my other jacks for answering machine and phone ? I understand that they both run through one line at different frequencys hence the filters, but I don't get how this one jack only gets dsl while all others seem to have both

Confused in Portland

Thanx in advance

Vikky

Something is not right.

It could be that they used a pots splitter, and used the line going to the previous second line for dsl. If they used a pots splitter to split the dsl and phone, then you wouldn't get a dial tone, but you wouldn't need the filters either. If so, then someone needs to take out the pots splitter, and rewire that line back in with the phone number. Then you would need the filters, but the line would be live. Does that make sense? Do you get a dial tone when you filter that line?
    Try

Comment

The junction box already has red/green hooked up to junction labeled "line"
      The top junction is labeled "Data" (I assume that is the dsl line)
      it has white/orange and orange/ white wires connected.

These are the only 4 wires in use and they go to 2 separate junctions
      (line and Data)
      This is where/why I am confused... I have DSL all the way around ( I have to filter my phone, answering machine....) but no dial tone/ phone on the one jack that had a separate telephone number before...

I don't get why I seem to have "2" different lines but not really...
      Seems that this one jack is somehow (orange/white wires?)hooked to the "Data" junction... and others are hooked (red/green) to another line
      but this doesn't make sense as I have dsl on the other jacks hence needing the dsl filter....

Whoa, too much thinking... my head hurts! Now you know how I got so confused in the first place

Thanx again

Comment

Sorry
        Got happy fingers with the send button
        No, even if I filter, nothing...
        the only thing that now works on that jack is the dsl
        which is on/ in all the jacks... hence filters needed
        Thanx
        Vikky

Comment

That sounds like a pots splitter. It separates the high frequency data from lower frequency voice. So data is only on that one line (or whatever is connected to it) and voice is sent to the rest of the lines.

Are you saying that you can connect the dsl modem to one of the other outlets and it works? Have you tried it?
          Try

Comment

Morning Troy
            I have not physically hooked dsl modem to other jacks
            but if I unfilter phone, answereing machine.... I get dsl static
            that is why I'm fairly sure I have dsl everywhere
            but but when I plug the phone into this one jack i get nothing

phone company said dsl would only hook up dsl and for $90.00 they would come out ( i assume to switch back disconnected line to working line) which is what i'm trying to figuare out
            but if that was true ( dsl on old disconnected line...)
            then I would't have dsl static on "other" line....

'bout ready to give up but too stubborn for my own good
            Plan:
            1) call dsl company and see what they say
            2) take phone out to junction and try those junctions to see what their function is... in theory I would expect to hear dial tone...

Thanx again
            Vikky

Comment

Working...
            X
            =