Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminate Countertops

Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was very scared to start chopping up the sheet of laminate I bought. I watched a ton of youtube videos on it but the sheet is still sitting in my basement because I dont wat to destroy it!

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    470 Posts
    you are eventually gonna hafta do it yourself or hire a professional to do it.
    it is really easy if you are careful. for a countertop, measure the width and add a quarter inch. use a fine toothed circular saw blade and cut from the back side to avoid splinters. go very slow with the saw. a tablesaw is better to use because you have a fixed rip fence that don't move.
    coat your countertop with a water based or solvent based contact cement. use two coats and allow to dry. coat your laminate with two coats and allow to dry. both surfaces will be tacky to the touch. place quarter inch dowels on the counter about 12 inches apart. place the laminate on the dowels but don't let it touch the countertop. if you do you will be sorry. when you figure you have the laminate positioned just right, remove the dowels starting from the center. press the laminate down from the center outward, removing the dowels as you go. lastly use a laminate roller and smooth out from the center to the ends. you want to get as much air bubbles out as possible. when you are done you will be using a router with a straight cutter and a 45 degree cutter.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    true, very problematic

Thread Information