Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Maker Hookup

Been having a problem with my new ice maker hookup leaking where the compression nut screws onto the valve. I'm using 1/4 inch copper tubing. I have placed a brass sleeve over the tubing at the end near the valve and teflon tape over the valve threads just as the directions say, but it still leaks when i tighten the compression nut. any suggestions to solve this problem? Thanks

Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

You can try ONE or Two wraps of teflon over the compression sleeve so that it seals between the sleeve and the compression nut. Do not wrap any more than you have to. Or you can get the liquid thread sealer and do the same. You should be careful not to overtighten the nut.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim, the teflon tape around the sleeve stopped the leak for about 10 minutes. But then it slowly began to drip below the compression nut. I am placing the sleeve at the very end of the copper tubing before inserting it into the valve and tightening the not.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

Do you have enough line to cut a little off and start again with a new compression ring? I would cut the line carefully so as to not distort it (if it does then ream it round again), slip the nut and compression ring on. Push the line into the fitting as far as it will go. Apply tape to the threads. Slide the nut ( and therefore the ring) up to the fitting and tighten gently. Turn the water on and if you see a drip tighten a bit more. Overtightening is a big cause of leaks.

Hope you can get this drip fixed.

BTW... the last bunch of icemakers I have hooked up I have used the potable water plastic hose with the plastic compression rings and it is easier to cut, bend and fit.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try

Comment

Working...
          X
          =