Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam radiator leak in co-op

A friend of mine just bought a co-op apartment and did not notice water leaking from a radiator onto the floor in a small puddle until after the closing. Now she wants to put in a new hardwood floor, but has no assurance from the building management or super that the radiator leak can be fixed. This is a fairly large building, probably about 40-50 years old, and I keep thinking that it's probably not just her radiator that's leaking but others too. Is it possible that it's just hers and that it can be fixed without overhauling the whole heating system? I keep wanting to tell her to just learn to live with the leak--put a metal cookie sheet under the radiator to keep the water off the floor or something. Am I just giving up too easily? Thanks for your help.

if its a cast iron radiator it is very possible that a couple of bottom joints are leaking. the cast iron fins are pressed together with a hub and socket joint

Comment

Where is the leak coming from?
      The most common spots are either from the valve packing nut, the connecting nut to the spud or the air valve. All of these should be an easy fix. If its the packing nut (very common) just take a adjustable wrench and tighten it in a clockwise direction. Just snug it down. If its the nut on the connection that may take a bit more muscle and a bigger wrench.

I'm not 100% sure but isn't this a building maintence issue and would fall under the buildings resposibility?

Comment

Thanks both of you. Yes, it sure would seem to be a building maintenence issue but you would be amazed at how long it can take for building maintenance to come around to the right solution sometimes. It's good to have a couple of specific things to look at first.

Comment

Leaking steam radiator- One pipe system

Thank you for Tudor to post my issue. See attachment for details.
          Can u believe this is brand new steam radiator? It was replaced in Dec-2007. It looks so rusty in Jan-2008.

The new leaking is water spits from the air vent (the silver rocket valve).
          It is only occured while the heat is travelling into the apt via the steam pipe.

The super and the manager insisted it has been fixed but I still see water stain on the paper towel I put around the radiator. Can I insist they send in a plumber to double check? It is supposed to be co-op building's responsibilty. ( I did consult a licensed plumber before contacting the management for the on & off leaking hassle).

I have to put the new hardwood floor and subfloor project on hold due to this leaking problem and have not moved in.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

p.s. If this is new radiator, does it come with warranty???

Comment

If the air valve is a new one, it should vent air ONLY! any wet should shut it. as for the baseboard radiator I would think there would be some sort of warranty on it. my other thought is that as steam comes up a certain amount of condensate is generated because of cold pipes so you will get some sputtering at the radiator until the whole system is heated up. boiler pressures for steam heat are usually 3-4 psig. is there an expansion loop in the system off the boiler manifold?

Comment

As HZ stated the valve should only release air. If its spitting water its not working correctly.

Care & Feeding of Air Vents - Old House Journal

Comment

Leaking steam radiator- One pipe system

Thanks for HZ & HS's prompt reply!!!

I have been told that a new computerized heat sensor system installed in the co-op building recently ~ it evaluates the temperature of select apartments and adjusts the release of heat throughout the buildings based on an aggregate of the interior temperature readings.

I have not moved in due to this on & off hassles. Per my visits, I know the heat is NOT on all the time, normally every 2-3 hours, heat will travel to the apt. via the steam pipe.

I have put some white paper towel right below the radiator. Yesterday, I stopped by and saw more water stains with black particles on it. (see attachment). Can you tell what are those black particles are?

Comment

The computer run system has nothing to do with the leak. Its only a controller.

The black stains are most likely (I can't tell from the picture) being spit out of the "air eliminator" from a dirty heating system. Also from what I can see the Air eliminator looks kind of old. I'd be willing to bet it's failed and needs to be replaced.
                  They aren't very expensive and simple to install.

Is there anyway to be there when the heat comes on? Thats a sure way of seeing whats going on.

if you can't be there....
                  Rubber band a paper towel or 2 over the top of the eliminator and see what it catches.

Comment

Reply to HS, Thanks!

Re: Rubber band a paper towel or 2 ~ Will that block the function of the radiator's air vent?

Comment

Originally posted by sw1015 View Post
                      Re: Rubber band a paper towel or 2 ~ Will that block the function of the radiator's air vent?
                      No, it should not. Just wrap the towel over the top and the band on the sides. I would also give it a little room at the top. I really don't think its critical because of the pressure in the heating system. Its doubtful a PT will stop the escaping air/water.

Comment

get a piece of white filter media and use that. paper towel may be too restrictive.

Comment

Leaking steam radiator

Thanks for guys' information.

Comment

"On & Off" leaking valve of steam radiator

Hi! guys,

The property manager finally brought in the plumber and found out "hot air" came out from the valve which will build up moisture and then turn into water. So he changed a new valve (see 12-15-2008 file).

However, when I stopped by 12-17-2008, new water stain showed up and you can see how rusty of the new valve. Can u tell me why? I am very frustrated! The plumber said he fixed it and what is the next step I should tell the management office? I am going to walk into the management office tomorrow. Need advice about how do deal with it in the nice way?

Comment

Not sure what to tell you. But the valve is not shutting off. I'd print out the picture and show it to the management company.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =