Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing broken hinge onto laminate

I was asked by a friend to look at one of their kitchen cabinet doors. One of hinges broke (the metal hinge broke off). As a result the second hinge screws holding the hinge to the back side of the cabinet facing tore out. Replacing the broken hinge is not a problem. It's the hinge that tore out from the back side of the facing that is the problem.

Is there away to repair the tear out (screw mounting holes, so I can remount the hinge in the same location or do I just relocate the hinge away from that spot and drill new pilot holes for the mounting screws?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Dale

if the doors are made of osb or particle board its almost impossible to get anything to screw in. the integrity of the board has been compromised. however - just an idea, if you mix a two part epoxy with "DURHAMS WOOD PUTTY" you MAY effect a repair. Durham's has a cellulose base and a hardener. You may also be able to "glue" the hinge back in its original location with "crazy glue."

Comment

Thanks

I began to reply and lost something. I hope I am not duplicating.

I think the integrity of the board is gone. It looks like the screws tore out of the particle board. If I try the epoxy Durham's mix, I will be filling the screw tear out space while the crazy glue option is actually gluing the hinge and screws to the back side of the face board. I also thought I could move the one hinge a couple of inches, at least it will give me a stable part of the board to attached the hinge to.

Any thoughts on that third option?

Thanks for the initial reply

Dale
      Last edited by dc206; 01-16-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

yeah you could move the hinges a bit but I was thinking of the asthetics of the whole door. pre drill pilot holes a bit smaller than the screw.

Comment

Broken Hinge with torn out screw hole

Thanks for the suggestions. The hinges are not visible from the front of the cabinet doors, so I will keep the option to remounting the hinge at slightly different location as an option. I am inclined to go with your suggestion to fill the hole with epoxy and durham's and drill a new pilot hole. If that fails, I can fall back to relocating the hinge.

Thanks,

Dale

Comment

tear out screw hole in particle board cabinet

I did some more research on the web and found a threaded brass sleeve that is threaded both on the outside and inside. I am thinking this is the solution to my screw hole tear-out problem. I found it using a google search. The web site is Thread Inserts for Metal, Wood and Plastic by E-ZLOK.

Dale

Comment

another site that is specifically for woodworking tools and accessories, [fasteners, glues etc] is www dot rockler dot com.

Comment

yet another idea fix on mounting hinge to particle board

Hi, I am still struggling with remounting new hinges onto the backside of a particle board face.

I have suggestions: 1) mixing epoxy with durhams to fill the screw holes that have torn out; 2: drilling out the current holes and gorilla gluing hardwood doweling and then redrilling for the hinge mount screws; 3) drilling out the current tear out and inserting specialized threaded sleeves (EZ Lok) that are designed for wood and particle boards.

I have given this more thought, I am thinking about getting a piece of sheet metal strapping that I can mount to the backside of the cabinet face and then mount the hinge plate to the metal strap. My only concerns are: I don't want to get too thick strapping material or it will throw the cabinet door out of line and what kind of screws to use to for the hinge. Not sure if sheet metal screws have the holding power necessary. An alternative is to drill out the particle board sufficiently to allow me to use bolt and nut maybe with loctite to keep the nut from loosening.

The metal strap would not show in that it is on the back side of the cabinet face and may hold better than trying to repair the particle board.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this solution.

DC206
                A

Comment

reattaching hinge to particle board tear out

To put closure on this, I decided to go to my friend and offer the options for repair. He wanted the repair not to show on the cabinet face, so using a binding post was not a solutions. He opted for a relocation of the hinge, so we have a clean particle board surface to mount the hinge.

Dale

Comment

not sure if it would work in particle borad, but I've made a similar repair in a wooden door jamb, where I drove wooden golf tees into the blown-out holes, cut off the excess part that was sticking out of the hole, and then drove wood screws back into the holes. The screws bit into the wood tees that were jammed down into the hole.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =