Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size for new 200 amp panel

Been gathering my supplies to finally change out my 60 amp service to 200 amp service in my 1885 Victorian. At the moment my house has three electrical meters on the outside wall (one for upstairs, one for the main floor and one for the water heater) I am going to change out all these meters for one 200 amp meter, so far I have rewired the main floor to get rid of all the aluminum wiring along with the illegal junctions inside the walls. The upstairs looks to be in good condition (not new but is all three romex wire black,white and ground copper). The upstairs little 40 amp fuse box will be changed out to a 100 amp breaker panel supplied by the new 200 amp panel.

I have got the new 200 amp meter socket, 200 amp main disconnect and the new 200 amp panel. Now my question. I have to run from the meter socket outside on the wall to just through to the inside of that same wall to the main disconnect, then from the main disconnect about 55 feet to the new 200 amp breaker panel. I have had two people tell me two differnet sizes of wire to make this run. I was told 3/0 and also 4/0 for this 200 amp service. Which one am I going to not worry about it or let me say what's the normal size (code) wire for this run?

Thanks, Kris

for 200 amp it is 4/0-3 SEU Aluminum cable - don't forget the no-alox - anti oxidant for the conductors.

Comment

From the meter to the disconnect you would need three 4/0 Al or three 2/0 Cu conductors. From the disconnect to the breaker panel you would need three 4/0 Al or three 2/0 Cu PLUS a grounding conductor of at least #4 Al or #6 Cu. The separate grounding conductor is necessary because the breaker panel is now a subpanel. Type SER cable may be used.
      Check with your local authority to make sure the main disconnect is not required to be outside adjacent to the meter.

Comment

Thanks

Normel and Hayzee, Thanks for the replies. I was planning on running wire this weekend but at 0 for a high I think it's going to have to wait so my wire will bend a little easier.

Thanks, Kris

Comment

Working...
        X
        =