Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with wall hole....

I'm planning to repair this hole in my wall, with adhesive fiberglass tape.
    Can i use something like Durham's rock hard water putty? On the can it says that its good for repairing cracks and stuff, tiles, wood, etc...but im not that sure.

BTW, when it says " Mix 3 parts powder and 1 part water" would that be like mixing 3 cups of the powder and 1 cup of water?
    Last edited by klonerx; 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM.

durham's forms a mix almost like creamy peanut butter when used 3:1. Thin applications dries quickly, thicker needs more time. I wouldn't use durham's for a hole in sheetrock, just wooden boards.

Comment

Patching a Hole

What kind of wall is this? If it is drywall, you should use joint compound. If it is a small hole under a dime size, place some wadded up fiberglass mesh tape so it fills the hole and sits under the surface. Then push mud on. Use several coats until level. Sand if needed and finish. If it is a bigger hole, go to Drywall Repair a Hole in Drywall - Instructions for instructions as you will need to put in some sort of backing to fasten a patch piece onto. You can usually get a small piece of waste drywall at a home store or lumber yard for free or just a few dollars to use as a patch.

The water putty will sand, but not very easily.
      Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
      http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

wow, thx for the link, it helped. by the way would you get punish your kid if he accidentally kicked a hole in the wall as big as the one shown in the link, even though he didn't mean to do it but did it accidentally out of anger?

hehe...

Comment

I would give the kid all the tools and materials and get him to repair the wall. If it wasn't done right, I'd have him do it again and again and again until it looked right. (psst, take away his cellphone)

Comment

below is a link to a great drywall repair story, whether you use site-mixed compound (as in the story) or the premixed kind.

DIY Drywall Repair | Extreme How To, DIY - Do it Yourself, Home Improvement, Home Decorating

Comment

The Batten Patch

A note on the batten patch referenced in the previous link. I would recommend 1/2" plywood for the battens. If you use OSB, the screws may strip the wood. If you use solid wood, the screw may very easily split the wood.
              Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
              http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              =