Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Siding for the DIY'er?

My soon-to-be wife and I are in the market for a fix-er-upper. I've got a good deal of DIY experience and lots of tools. I've built decks, done some basic plumbing, remodeled a few rooms, including a kitchen and bath, lots fr trim work, etc. There's nothing I'm afraid to tackle. Even if I screw it up, I'll start over, because I guess I'm stubborn and refuse to raise the white flag. But now that I'm about to be married, I've got to weigh her feelings regarding new projects....after all, she'll be living there, too.

So, one of the houses we'e looking at must have the vinyl siding replaced. It's been re-painted, it's very dented, mismatched, etc. It's gotta go. In years past, I would've attempted the job myself, hell or high water. But I don't want to get in above my head, because my wife isn't going to want to live in an unsided home while I try to figure out how to install the stuff.

So my question is this..... I know I'll need a helping hand, but is a full-house vinyl siding installation a feasible project for an seasoned DIY'er.... one who has no experience with siding? I'd love to do it myself, but I don't want to get in over my head and have my wife want to kill me right out of the gate.

Can any experienced siding installers suggest anything for me, whether that be warnings to stay away or helpful installation tips?

yes a man handy with basic tools can easlily do this project.
    Seems so funny to talk about vinyl siding when here in Maine the snow is built up about 5 feet on the ouside of my house. ha ha ha
    Basic and most important thing I have found out is know your actual coverage of each piece of siding.
    I then messure down from the bottom of windows to find out where I want to put the starter strip.
    I have seen too many installers mess up and end up needing tp put a 1 or 2 inch piece under the window only to have it flop around loose and then have to face nail it. not a good looking job.
    Another thing is to make sure your starter clip is lever around house so you wont end up with a step up at the final conrer of your house...plan to finish on least obvious corner of house will keep it out of sight for most but you will know it is there...if started right you will have least problems
    Do not nail to tight and go at it.
    Gerry

Comment

Single level homes are much MUCH easier than two level homes. If your home is a two level home and you don't have access to good ladders and planks/tressels then the difficulty level raises considerably.

As with any cut-able product , measure twice, cut once (I'm yet to work out how to glue an inch back onto to siding.....lol)
      Make sure you leave an expansion gap at all the corner channels (1/4").

Welcome to the soon to be world of the "world's smallest handcuff" (wedding ring....lol)
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

make sure you have all the fittings before you start your project. nothing stinks more than only to having to travel 50 miles each way because you forgot a J track. if you plan to install foam insulation board under the siding, use a whack stapler for the panels. its easier than roofing nails. put up your starter channel at the bottom - level it out with a line level and snap a line. put your corners up first - external and internal - do all your window framing with J track, tops and sides, nothing on the bottom unless you want to. the top sides are a little bit longer and a formed tongue fold into the J track on the sides. a piece of the top part of a siding piece goes on upside down over an under the window cut out. Nails aren't driven tightly home but leave enough of slack to allow the siding to slide around. this stuff will expand at least one inch in hot weather.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =