Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon monoxide sensor came on, now furnace won't//

I replaced the belt on our furnace (a 20 yr. old Westinghouse, don't see a model number) and left the front cover off to make sure the belt was fine when I turned the furnace back on. I forgot the cover was off and after 15 minutes or so the CO2 monitor sounded off. I shut the furnace off and put the cover back on. The autmatic ignitor clicks but the furnace never actually 'kicks' on. I've looked for a reset button but don't see one. I unplugged the furnace for a few minutes but that didn't work either. I switched the breaker on/off but that didn't work. Any ideas what may be the problem? Thanks for any advice.

jcro

Is your co-2 monitor tied into the furnace? or is it one of those plug in devices.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. The monitor does not have a battery but is on a household circuit. I don't know if it is on the same circuit as the furnace. I'm guessing that when the CO monitor is activated it somehow disables the furnace and the furnace must somehow be 'reset'. This is just a guess on my part because I have absolutely no experience with how a furnace works.

Thanks again. Any advice is appreciated as it was 13 this morning!

Comment

look for wiring diagram on the panel door to see if you can see the sensor in question
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

also, CO2 detectors can save lives, if you can't follow a wiring diagram you really should call a pro to take a look at the unit, a cracked exchanger can be dangerous
          Is it beer thirty??

Comment

The detector is actually in another room and really not anywhere near the furnace. I'm really at a loss as to what is the problem. Do you think the exchanger could have been cracked by me leaving the front cover off the furnace for 15 minutes? The furnace was working absolutely fine prior to this event. All I did was replace the belt and mistakenly leave off the cover. I've had the furnace checked by a professional in the past year and it checked out okay.

Thanks

Comment

model number????
              Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Heating Questions

The CO detector doesn't have anything to do with your furnace I am willing to bet you just disturbed a delicate device (a 20 year old Furnace)
                If you want it to run I would be looking for a ground that is loose or a wire that is knocked off or loose, my question is why do you want it to run, for the last five years any customer that I have seen that has a belt driven fan on their furnace got told the story of how the utility company is financing their new system but by holding on to the old one they are deciding to give the money back.
                That furnace is lucky to get 40% of the dollars you are putting in it into your home in the form of heat compare that with the least efficient furnace you can buy today at 80% efficiency you can see how you could afford a new system.
                Remember the best way to green up your home dollar for dollar is to improve the efficiency of the highest energy consuming appliance in your home, your HVAC system
                Beer is not just for breakfast anymore...

Comment

Working...
                X
                =