Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Chain came off sprocket!!!

Okay, it's my fault that this happened (I think! LOL!)

I was opening the garage door and it didn't want to go up. I hit the button the second time only to see the very top of the garage door being pulled away from the front wall. It was then that I realized that the door may be stuck in the ice at the front of the garage. I chopped all the ice away, and the door started to open, when all of a sudden it lurched, something went flying across the garage, and it stopped. The chain hung down from the pipe type track of the opener. <YIKES!> I got the step ladder and saw that the chain had come off the sprocket. The part that flew across the garage was the sprocket cover. I couldn't get the chain back on the sprocket w/o taking the chain apart. Once I got the chain back on the sprocket, I hit the button and the door started moving, then all of a sudden the chain came off again. Does the trolley that glides on the pipe have to be in a specific spot to make the door have the right up and down "timing?" Does anyone know what the measurment is?

HELP!!!!!
    Jackie

the chain travels on the trolley. the door catch fastens to the ends of the chain. as it travels in the downward direction it latches onto the door mechanism. should snap in. put the door down, start the motor in the down direction. adjust your limit stops if necessary.

Comment

Chain won't stay on the sprocket!!!!!

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the chain travels on the trolley. the door catch fastens to the ends of the chain. as it travels in the downward direction it latches onto the door mechanism. should snap in. put the door down, start the motor in the down direction. adjust your limit stops if necessary.
      I undertand all of this, but where should the trolley be when you put the chain back on the sprocket? I made sure the opener was in the door down position, hooked the chain onto the trolley, and got the chain back on. As soon as I hit the remote to raise the door, the chain came off again. I did this several times all with the same result: The chain won't stay on the sprocket. H E L P!!!!!!

Does anyone have the manual to a Stanley 1/3 HP chain drive opener that they could scan and email me?

TIA,
      Jackie

Comment

ok, evidently the chain has stretched. if I'm not mistaken the chain fastens to a threaded link on the trolley to allow you to tighten the chain. you may need to remove a full or a half link from the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          ok, evidently the chain has stretched. if I'm not mistaken the chain fastens to a threaded link on the trolley to allow you to tighten the chain. you may need to remove a full or a half link from the chain.
          No, I really don't think that's the problem. When I put the chain back on the sprocket, I then tightened the bolt that takes the slack out of the chain. In other words, the chain was tight. Then I thought, perhaps it was too tight, and did the whole deal again, but left a little more slack. It still came off! The drive sprocket on the motor end seems to be fine. It moves freely when the motor is running, and the teeth (cogs?) aren't worn. I would love to keep my head up there to watch what is happening, but I'm afraid of getting hit in the face by the chain.

This morning, I checked the track for any problems, and I saw nothing but a small area where the tracks didn't line up perfectly, so I aligned it.

Any other thoughts, HayZee????

Comment

OK - in the front is an idler sprocket, in the back is a driven sprocket, in the middle on one side is the trolley and its connection to the chain. take the chain off and check EVERY tooth on the driven end. from side pressure and constant use, the sprocket teeth will wear down. a tooth may be missing or bent throwing the whole chain out of kilter. if you can find a piece of white coriander countertop, make a guide where the chain goes into the motor housing (both sides) to lift up the chain to a more pleasing angle of attack going into the motor drive. the chain needs to just slide on top of the guide piece.

Comment

stanley operator sprocket

the problem is that their is a little plastic piece inside the motor head that is cracked and allowing the sprocket shaft to move instead of staying vertical. You can buy a replacement kit, but with stanely being out of business, I would recommend a new one. the kit should cost about $45. Hobbitt Distributing sells these.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =