Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Fence - going up!!!

I have a cedar fence behind my house that is 5 ft high... that was perfect when we moved in but now someone is building in the lot behind us and the wife wants it higher.. "For Privacy"... My problem is deciding how to do it and am looking for ideas... If you look at the attached picture, you can see the cross pieces that support the fence boards are almost as high as they can go...... If I replace the 5 ft boards with 6 ft boards, the top 18 inches or so of the new boards will be unsupported and I am afraid they will warp and look horrible across the top.. My idea was to route a channel in a 2 / 4 and attach it across the top of the new boards like a cap to keep them in line.. Will this work or look screwey.. I am open to ideas.. additionally, if I have to replace any cross boards, should I use pressure treated lumber or something else since the entire fence is oil stained?
    Last edited by DD716TED; 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM.

Are you planning on replacing the existing pickets or just adding to the top of them ?

Anything you try to add to the 5' pickets will no doubt warp and look "added on".

Might be easiest to add a foot or so to the top of the existing posts and then add railings in beween the new sections, then add your 6' tall pickets.
    If you do this you can get "simpson" galvanised post brackets from most big box stores to allow the additional 1' or so on the 4 x 4 posts. I would also add an additional treated 2 x 4 up the back of the existing post and the addition post to give axtra support.

Much cheaper then replacing or adding extra posts.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Fencing issue....

What a great opportunity to do some styling! I'd recommend taking a picture of the fence from across the yard and make several enlarged copies of it. Then start sketching! The only consideration would be what your local code permits you height-wise. Top dressing could range from different wood and/or different width planking. to maybe something horizontal. The verticals can be handled by continuing the posts dimensionally to the height desired and, from new top to ground, capping on each side, and possibly the face as well, with thinner stock. Similar flat stock can be used to cover the horizontal joint and thus sandwich it and still aesthetically tie it. Different style wood, different type of wood, wood covered with lattice for just the top portion... lots of choices...

Comment

Think outside the box and add to the bottom of fence.
        Take off existing slats buy more add another rail about 1foot up add horizontal slats to bottom then replace your slats up
        Gerry

Comment

Working...
        X
        =