Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking windows during heavy storms

We have a 10-year-old house that we bought a year ago. The house is 2 stories, brick exterior.

During heavy rain storms two of our windows on the first floor leak water into the house from the top of the window through a gap that has formed between the window and the dry wall. The windows are set in from the interior wall by about 4-5 inches. The leaking doesn't occur during all storms, only when the wind is blowing very strong against the side of the house that the windows are located.

The windows on the second floor directly above the leaking windows on the first floor do not leak. Another set of windows on the first floor on the same side of the house as the leaking windows, does not leak. The two leaking windows are on opposite sides of the house.

1. Any ideas why the windows are leaking?

2. What kind of contractor would be responsible for repairing this issue?

Sounds like you have a small hole allowing water to get behind the window, it could be as easy a fix as getting up there on a ladder and applying a good exterior caulk.
    Most handyman type companies should be able to do this work for you if you are unable, or a window and siding co.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Holes

There are no visible gaps around the window on the exterior of the building (at least on the first floor), nor are there any visible cracks or holes in the wall that can be seen while standing on a one story ladder.

Comment

Now it would also help me a lot if someone can tell me about the ways with which I can rectify the ceiling leak. Yeah during heavy rains water sips and it is a mess all around. Our house was not purchased though it was made about 5 years back. Have heard of ceilings leaking in old houses but this is something totally unexpected! What can we do now?

Comment

Ceiling leaks can come from a variety of places, first you need to go into your attic and see if you can follow a water stain or if it's raining at the time a physical water drip. Often right above the ceiling leak point is NOT the place the water is getting into the house.

It could be from something as simple as a shingle nail has popped or flashing that needs resealing.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

you first have to find where the leak is coming from before you can fix it. take a water hose and spray it hard at the tops of the first floor windows and see if they leak. wait a while, preferably an hour or so, then do the upper floor windows. i bet you the leak is high, not right at the top of the 1st floor windows but up by the 2nd story ones.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =