Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" paver overlay of concrete driveway

Have a concrete driveway with a few long cracks and just want to overlay it with 1/2" interlocking pavers. Has anyone done this? Figure I would first clean out the cracks and powerwash and then seal with epoxy or something else. Was told I would need to mud the pavers in, assume to make sure they are level so they do not crack. For the edges of the driveway was thinking of epoxying the pavers to the old concrete to make sure they do not come loose. Does anyone think just mud would hold the pavers in place on the edges?

And how thick does the mud need to be, can I use just enough to level the paver? (say 1/8" at the thinnist, and thicker where needed to level). I do not want to raise the height of the pavers anymore than needed since it will be sitting on top of the concrete driveway.

Do not get freezing temps where I live.
    Thanks for any advice

Applying paver's directly over the existing concrete slab will give you headaches down the track unless you mortar them in. If the paver's are left loose as you drive over them they will get small amounts of movement and jammed against the concrete they will start to crack and break down, just like grinding in pestle.
    If your going to lay them over concrete then use at least a 1/2" mortar bed to seat them in, this will help stop future paver movement.
    You other option would be to simply remove the existing concrete and lay a proper paver base and then loose fit the paver's.
    Have you thought about the option of just cutting out the sections of concrete that is cracked and laying paver's in these areas ( sort of like 10' of concrete....10' of pavers....10' of concrete for example), this is being done very regularly now to give a much "richer" look to standard old driveways.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

re: aggregate base?

What if I use an aggregate base to level the 1" pavers and keep them from grinding on the concrete, and then use sand between the pavers to prevent side-to-side movement? Just the outside row of pavers would be cemented in to hold in the sanded in pavers. Parkway Pavers in Winter Park will give a 10 yr garantee on 1" Boca pavers when they install them this way (but they do not service my area).

I was told that if I cement them all in the underlying cracks in the concrete, even if epoxyed, will end up cracking the pavers over time.

Because of the added expense, I am trying to avoid removing the driveway concrete. I also want to match the side walk in the same pavers, and so want to avoid having to remove the sidewalk concrete too.

Comment

A 1" base should be enough to prevent paver to slab friction. A paver base would be the best option for under the pavers (aggregate implies a stone mix), something like a crushed granite or crushed limestone.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =