Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Coal Burning Fireplace Help!

I bought a house built in 1928. It has an old coal fireplace and the interior brick mortar has cracked on the front and pulled away from the walls. The flue has been filled and I do not intend to use it in any way as a fireplace, but do want the appearance of a fireplace inside. Can I remove the interior brick and replace it with a wooden front? I have no idea what is behind the brick and worry about the safety of removing the brick.
    Last edited by ama357; 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM.

I don't think there is a quick answer to your question. There can be several things that can come into play when tearing out brickwork.

Usually ( and I do say usually) when the chimney is built the firebox is lined with solid bricks. Hollow core bricks will crack under heat as the air inside them expands and contracts very rapidly.
    In most cases you can remove the firebox bricks and reline or repair the firebox with new bricks. However this shouldn't be done if your not sure what your doing.

As for lining it with wood or the like, most definitely "don't" do this, you know it will be wood, but down the track a new owner may not (or forgets) and installs a vent less fireplace and thats when the trouble will begin.

If you push on the cracked area of brick work does it move ?
    How big are the cracks?
    Can you post a picture on here ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Just a quick note about the above thread...This fire-box brick is a special brick know as "Fire Brick" not just solid bricks. They are made with a different clay then ordenary brick.
      Gerry

Comment

Working...
      X
      =