Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will photos transfer from W98 to XP?

I am using a Gateway 500 with W98. It has 129 photos that need transferred to a laptop with XP.

The same camera software works on the laptop. By using a USB cable, can we transfer them?

I tried to use a flash drive but it didn't have the right drivers and would have to be mailed back to Dell.

E-mail is awfully slow. Snapshot.com isn't working right for another week.

There is no CD burner on this Gateway.

Are there any other ideas? Thanks.

if you go to the cdw site you can buy a direct usb to usb cable for transferring anything from one computer to another. the cable cost $29.95 but is well worth it. when you set it up you'll get two screen options - UNICODE and ANSI. unicode is for win xp to win xp, the ansi is for win 98 to winxp. works like a charm!

Comment

If the camera works on both the desktop and the laptop, you can probably use it as a flash drive. Just drag the files onto it, switch the camera to the destination computer and drag them off.
      Try

Comment

It's been so long since I've used Windows 98, I can't be 100% sure on this. But I'm thinking you might have problems if you go any USB port option (Port 2 port or even a Flash drive). I say this because I don't think Windows 98 supports most newer devices. Now if you have Windows 98SE, you'd be better off because it supported more USB devices. Also whatever route you take, if you're going to use the USB port, make sure the device is backwards compatible. Those old machines don't support USB 2.0.

BTW, a flash drive would be your best bet.

Comment

She has the same camera program and camera so drag & drop might work.

It is W98SE. The manual doesn't say anything about the USB

I got an MP3 player recently and it should work with this software, but the cord might be bad. Anyhow, the USB might be allright.

I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to try a USB cable.

We haven't got to it yet, but soon.

Comment

I have three computers. One is a Dell with win xp, one is a compaq desktop with win xp, the last is a compaq laptor with win 98se. all machines have a usb port. I needed to transfer items from the compaq desktop to my dell desktop and tried wireless usb (as in a local LAN) didn't work. I sent away for this usb to usb cable and reveiced it in about a week. I installed the software on both machines and hitched them together. I was able to transfer all files from my desktop to the compaq desktop in less than three minutes without any loss. I also transferred my whole music collection ( roughly 9 gigabytes from my dell desktop via usb to the laptop computer in about five minutes. NOW, mind you my desktop has win xp and the laptop has win 98se. the transfer went great.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              I have three computers. One is a Dell with win xp, one is a compaq desktop with win xp, the last is a compaq laptor with win 98se. all machines have a usb port. I needed to transfer items from the compaq desktop to my dell desktop and tried wireless usb (as in a local LAN) didn't work. I sent away for this usb to usb cable and reveiced it in about a week. I installed the software on both machines and hitched them together. I was able to transfer all files from my desktop to the compaq desktop in less than three minutes without any loss. I also transferred my whole music collection ( roughly 9 gigabytes from my dell desktop via usb to the laptop computer in about five minutes. NOW, mind you my desktop has win xp and the laptop has win 98se. the transfer went great.
              She has a dual USB cable so I guess they are all the same purpose wise.

Comment

dual usb

check out my picture of a dual usb cable. this is similar to the cable I use with my printer. one end is the typical usb connector the other end is a smaller special configuration. the usb to usb cable that is on the "mail order" usb to usb cable has two of the rectangle connectors with an "egg" in the middle. what's in this "egg" is an opti-coupler as the signals from one computer to another may not be compatible with each other and you could burn out one or both computers if you use a direct - non isolated - conductor.

Comment

Hayzee,

Now that is interesting. The Best Buy computer geek didn't mention that when he said the transfer could be made.

This old Gateway 500 doesn't have that oddball end, so I will have to check her Dell laptop later.

Thanks.

Comment

not all computer geeks are intelligent. just like some say you can use a null modem cable for direct networking - uh uh. one pair of the wires are flipped from one end to the other. think of it. say a laptop uses a 14 volt power supply and the desktop uses a 5 volt supply. you hitch up the usb cable between them without an isolator and POOF one or the other is gonna burn up. two wires in the usb cable are for power, data is sent along the other two. usb plugs are the same rectangular condiguration on ANY computer. you'll only find that oddball connector on certain peripherals. a camera might have that connector. I already told you my hp printer has this. her dell laptop will have the flat rectangular connector I can almost guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                      not all computer geeks are intelligent. just like some say you can use a null modem cable for direct networking - uh uh. one pair of the wires are flipped from one end to the other. think of it. say a laptop uses a 14 volt power supply and the desktop uses a 5 volt supply. you hitch up the usb cable between them without an isolator and POOF one or the other is gonna burn up. two wires in the usb cable are for power, data is sent along the other two. usb plugs are the same rectangular condiguration on ANY computer. you'll only find that oddball connector on certain peripherals. a camera might have that connector. I already told you my hp printer has this. her dell laptop will have the flat rectangular connector I can almost guarantee it.
                      Hayzee,

Best Buy told Pam it would work, while Office depot said it wouldn't. That's why I try to get a lot of input. Lots of the experts in sales stores seem to be mostly for selling something now days. They get a few days training and really don't know anything.

I wouldn't take a chance on it after what you told me.

My fuji camera connection doesn't have an egg shell shape either.

Transferring by camera sounds like the best way to go. She was able to put the old camera software on XP, so they should transfer.

This stuff is just plain complicated. Even though what computers can do some amazing things, they don't work in some ways.

ba_50

Comment

tell ya what. hitch yer camera to the xp unit - make a directory and d/l files to this directory. get a cd and burn the images on the cd. then you'll have a record of them files. don't do what I did and keep the pix files on the machine. when you need to reformat the hard drive ALL your saved files will be gonzo. I have lost so many pictures because of my stupidity and NOT having burned a cd.

Comment

how about getting a free Fotki account. Upload them there and download them to the other pc

Comment

I tried to figure out how to put the pictures back on my camera but wasn't successful.

When I tried to resize the pictures, a message came up saying they wre locked what ever that means.

I will check out that free account. I tried snapfish but I could only load one at a time.

Comment

if you can afford the usb to usb cable from CDW I would suggest you do this. You can then transfer files from ANY computer to ANY computer running win98 and/or XP, ME etc. You will find that the usb port on one computer is the same on any computer but you need the cable with the "egg" in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =